Grade B – 37,694 45,092 (National Framework) or 42,863 – 50,261 (London Framework – if you are London or homebased and live within the boundary of the M25) plus up to a 15,000 allowance for exceptional candidates. There is also a homeworking allowance of 529 per annum for those working from home.
Contracted Hours: Full time 37 hours per week
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: Home based
Closing date: Sunday 26th February 2023 at 11.59pm
Sponsorship We can support Skilled Worker Sponsorship for this post subject to candidates meeting the required eligibility for a Skilled Worker visa. However, please do note the post is UK based and relocation support is not available.
Are you committed to helping us regulate health and social care within England?
When thinking about what drives you every day in your job, what keeps you motivated and passionate about your work what comes to mind? For 3000+ people at the CQC we end each day knowing that we have made a difference to the lives of those most in need in our communities. We make sure health and social care services provide people with safe, effective, compassionate, high-quality care and encourage care services to improve. We are looking for people who are caring, demonstrate integrity and work well as part of a team to join with us and share in this sense of achievement. If you would like to help us make a positive impact to health and social care within England, then read on.
Why this could be a great role for you’
This is a unique opportunity for a high-calibre individual with data engineering experience to join our prestigious organisation.
With the chance to work with an ambitious and motivational team as well as receiving everything you’ll need to thrive personally and professionally, from supermarket and gym discounts to an exceptional pension, this is a role you don’t want to miss out on!
What’s more, our data-based roles are offered on a full-time, job share or part-time basis and we are happy to discuss alternate working patterns.
So, if you’re passionate about delivering results that will help everyone across England to receive the best quality health and social care, then apply today!
What we can offer you…
Your health and wellbeing are important to us and are supported through generous annual leave (starting at 27 days and rising with service to 32.5 days, plus 8 Bank Holidays), a cycle to work scheme, discounted gym vouchers and access to a free employee assistance service 24 hours a day. We also understand the importance of financial health and offer membership of the NHS pension scheme, contributing about 14% of basic salary. You will also be able to access discounts to supermarkets, high street stores, electronics, fleet cars, plus we also have an internal reward scheme which could see you earn yourself a voucher or two! All of our Homeworkers are also kitted out with everything they need to comfortably work from home.
We want to support you to succeed and be your very best, with opportunities for training and development along with the support of experienced managers and mentors.
We want to make working for CQC a great experience for everyone, and to role model a diverse and representative culture. To support an inclusive environment where colleagues feel empowered to bring their whole self to work, we support a variety of staff networks, including the Race Equality Network, LGBT+ Equality Network, Carers Equality Network, Disability Equality Network and Gender Equality network.
What you will bring’
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will design, build, test and maintain our data pipelines and services.
This highly technical role will see you ensuring available data meets business requirements and user needs, as well as developing and maintaining robust, performant data integration and transformation routines and services.
Working closely with colleagues across the Data & Insight Unit, you will translate requirements into solutions and communicate these to stakeholders and technical colleagues.
You will also maximise the automation, scalability and reliability of data services, focusing on opportunities for reuse, adaptation and efficient engineering.
- Design, build and test data pipelines and services, based on feeds from multiple systems using a range of different storage technologies and/or access methods provided by the
- Enterprise Data Platform, with a focus on creating repeatable and reusable components and products.
- Design, write and iterate code from prototype to production ready. Understand security, accessibility and version control.
- Use a range of coding tools and languages as required.
- Work closely with colleagues across the Data & Insight Unit to effectively translate requirements into solutions, and accurately communicate across technical and non-technical stakeholders as well as facilitating discussions within a multidisciplinary team.
- Deliver robust, supportable and sustainable data solutions in accordance with agreed organisational standards that ensure services are resilient, scalable and future proof.
- Understand the concepts and principles of data modelling and produce, maintain and update relevant physical data models for specific business needs, aligning to the enterprise data architecture standards.
- Design and implement data solutions for the ingest, storage and use of sensitive data within the organisation, including designing and implementing row and field-level controls as needed to appropriately control, protect and audit such data.
- Clearly, accurately and informatively document and annotate code, routines and other components to enable support, maintenance and future development.
- Work with QA Engineers to execute testing where required, automating processes as much as possible.
- Keep abreast of opportunities for innovation with new tools and uses of data.
- Learn from what has worked as well as what has not, being open to change and improvement and working in ‘smarter’, more effective ways.
- Work collaboratively, sharing information appropriately and building supportive, trusting and professional relationships with colleagues and a wide range of people within and outside of the Care Quality Commission.
- Ensure that problems are fixed according to SLAs or in a timely manner providing proactive communication.
- Ensure the use and protection of government and public information is handled securely and with care, following CQC data management principles and policies.
- Provide oversight and assurance of suppliers and team members, coaching and mentoring colleagues to create a highly-performant and effective team.
- Design and undertake appropriate quality control and assurance for delivery of output.
- Provide direction and guidance to peers and junior colleagues, including line management and development of teams, where required.
- Promote a strong data culture across CQC in line with the organisational data strategy.
- Role model inclusive behaviours in everyday interactions.
- Promote a culture of respect and fairness and understand personal responsibilities around delivering against CQC diversity and inclusion strategy.
- Demonstrate competence and support others to achieve behavioural excellence through our Success Profiles (Grade B) ensuring yourself and those you work with are the best that they can be.
- Role model and support others to instil our values into everything that we do.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Educated to degree level or have equivalent professional experience.
- Experience translating business requirements into solution design and implementation.
- Extensive experience of data engineering and the development of data ingest and transformation routines and services using modern, cloud-based approaches and technologies.
- Ability to apply relevant techniques and approaches to validate, optimise and monitor data transformation to improve the efficiency and robustness of solutions.
- Understanding of the principles of data modelling and data flows with ability to apply this to design of data solutions.
- Understanding of the fundamentals of solution and data architecture.
- Experience of supporting and enabling AI technologies.
- Experience following product/solution development lifecycles using frameworks/methodologies such as Agile, SAFe, DevOps and use of associated tooling (e.g. version control, task tracking).
- Experience working with Database technologies such as SQL Server, Oracle and Data
- Warehouse Architecture with knowledge of big data, data lakes and NoSQL.
- Experience implementing data flows to connect operational systems, data for analytics and BI systems.
- Experience documenting source-to-target mappings.
- Demonstrable experience writing ETL scripts and code to make sure the ETL processes perform optimally.
- Experience in other programming languages for data manipulation (e.g. Python, Scala).
- Experience in assessing and analysing technical issues or problems in order to identify and implement the appropriate solution.
- Knowledge and experience of data security and data protection (e.g. GDPR) practices and application of these through technology.
- Strong decision-making skills and capability to make sound judgement with limited supervision.
- Experience in reconciling conflicting views and articulating coherent rationales for action.
- Ability to identify problems and lead the delivery of solutions and preventative measures, escalating where appropriate.
- Proven ability to understand stakeholder needs, manage their expectations and influence at all levels on the use of data and insight.
- Proven ability to tailor the communication of insight in the most appropriate and compelling way for the audience, including through storytelling and visualisation.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge and understanding of the health and care sectors.
- Experience of using Power BI and creating reports/analysing data.
For an informal discussion or further information on the role, please contact Ubeyde Omer, Enterprise Data Platform Lead at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are committed to being open and transparent around our processes and we endeavour to offer every candidate the opportunity to perform at their best throughout the recruitment process. We seek to support candidates to identify potential challenges and work with them to identify and facilitate reasonable adjustments as appropriate. Should you require assistance and/or would like to request a reasonable adjustment at any stage of the recruitment process, please contact a member of the team via email: email@example.com
CQC is committed to promoting a fair and inclusive workplace where all our people can flourish and reach their full potential. We know diverse teams allow for a more creative and productive environment and therefore encourage applications from everyone regardless of: age, gender/sex, gender identity or expression, religion or belief, disability, ethnicity or sexual orientation.
Excellence Meeting our challenge to be a high-performing organisation
Caring Treating everyone with dignity and respect
Integrity Demonstrating our passion for ‘doing the right thing’
Teamwork Enabling us to be the best we can