Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Optum, the fastest growing part of UnitedHealth Group, is a leading information and technology-enabled health services business. Our teams are dedicated to modernizing the health care system and improving the lives of people and communities.
Serving virtually every dimension of the health system, we work with a diverse set of clients across 150 countries – from those who diagnose and treat patients to those who pay for care, deliver health services, and those who supply the cures. Optum maintains operations across North America, South America, Europe, Asia Pacific and the Middle East. Our innovative partnerships provide technology and tools that enable unprecedented collaboration and efficiency. As a result, we can tap into valuable health care data to uncover insights and develop strategies for better care at lower costs.
We all know that there's a lot more to come in the changes sweeping through the health care industry. But if change is going to shape our world, it's comforting to know that we're shaping the change. At Optum, the actuarial consulting leader in health care innovation, your performance, your ideas and your innovative thinking will help us improve the lives of millions.
As a Senior Data Analyst, you will join an elite team committed to changing health care through outstanding service and valuable products. You'll use innovative tools including the largest database of health care information in the world. You will perform mathematical analyses and actuarial modeling to identify statistical findings and conclusions. If you want to be challenged by working on complex and diverse analytical projects, this is the opportunity for you.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Develop strategic working relationships with clients
- Perform diverse data analytics-focused projects, including quantitative analysis on Actuarial, financial and utilization data
- Perform diverse coding development-focused projects, including creation and enhancement of tools and data pipelines
- Perform health care and / or health policy focused quantitative and qualitative research and analysis to review data and achieve measurable outcomes for clients
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with our broader product team, while supporting ad-hoc analytics where needed
- Play a key role in client relationships and communications
- Prepare information for clients, build reports, and assist with project scheduling and coordination of tasks
- Execute creative problem solving and critical thinking on the job
- Maintain a high degree of accuracy along with attention to detail, excellent oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to always meet deadlines
- Review, design and execute complex algorithms before interpreting output and communicating results both internally and externally to provide actionable insights
- Take accountability for work within a fast paced, exciting environment and learn from challenges as they arise
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's degree (STEM field) or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience working in a role focused on actuarial analysis or data analysis
- 2+ years of experience with R or a similar object-oriented language such as Python or VBA
- 2+ years of experience with MS Excel, including the ability to work with formulas, calculations, charts, graphs
- 1+ years in a healthcare analysis role working with claims data
- Solid technical aptitude
- Ability to learn quickly and use computer software tools effectively
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Completed Master’s degree (STEM field) or nearly qualified Actuary
- 3+ years of consultancy and healthcare industry experience
- 1+ years of SQL and SAS coding experience
- Customer facing experience
- Knowledge and hands-on experience of regression analytics and Machine Learning techniques
- Aptitude and solid interest in statistical modeling techniques such as linear regression, logistic regression
- Effective written and verbal communication
- Proven analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work proactively and collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
- Flexibility to handle changing priorities/requirements/deadlines
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $82,100 to $146,900. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $90,500 to $161,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.