UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Optum Labs serves as UnitedHealth Group’s research and development hub. Our vision is to create the most effective, affordable, equitable, and engaging health care solutions that improve patient health outcomes and experience, enhance provider experience, bolster health equity, and make health care more affordable. Our teams leverage big data insights, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and disruptive product development while capitalizing on engineering, clinical, and scientific innovations to build innovative health solutions.
Here, we have successfully leveraged healthcare data to bring together a more complete view of health and provide more personalized insights to inform healthcare decisions, to drive better options for healthcare that help individuals live a healthy life. In service to this mission, the Optum Labs Data Strategy team is committed to providing the best available data to solve complex business problems across the healthcare delivery system. The Optum Labs Data Strategy team is building a core capability around data management, governance and use to support enterprise goals to reduce health disparities. For this work, the team is seeking a Sr. Principal Data Analyst to deliver data and analytics that can be used to drive a data product strategy that supports health equity analytic and product delivery in a scalable, sustainable, and intentional manner.
Combining a deep knowledge of healthcare data and a commitment to health equity, the Data Analyst will deliver against an analytic program to support and drive an enterprise-wide data strategy for managing and using socio-demographic data as part of a health equity strategy. These data include, but are not limited to, self-reported and imputed Race, Ethnicity, Language (REL) and other socio-demographic data that have been found to be highly correlated with access to quality care. Analyses will include identifying the availability of such data, validating the accuracy of such data, and understanding the biases of those data collections.
- Deliver data analyses to shape development and expansion of a reliable, documented, governed data product for identifying social determinants of health, using best available data. Examples include conducting analysis to distinguish patterns and recognize trends, performing normalization operations, enriching dataset to serve specific business use cases, and assuring data quality
- Work with business stakeholders and product managers to support data product development, including requirements gathering, specifications documentation and user acceptance testing
- Work within all applicable compliance, privacy and contractual data use requirements as applicable
- Coordinate with third party data partners to land and link third party data assets with internal data assets as needed
- Effectively communicate data and analytic findings with many levels of the organization, business stakeholders/SME, project managers, developers, system architects, quality assurance, operations, etc. by written word and presentations
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from select cities within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of experience as a Data Analyst
- 3+ years of experience in the healthcare industry analyzing multiple data asset types (e.g. administrative claims, EMR, etc.)
- 3+ years of experience with analytic tool such as SQL, Python, or R
- 1+ years of experience working with healthcare data privacy, compliance and governance requirements
- Experience working in the health equity domain, specifically focused on the impact of data collection and use as related to addressing health disparities
- Demonstrated experience influencing with technical and business leadership through verbal and written communications
- Detailed-oriented with solid documentation and tracking skills
- Demonstrated ability to create, fit, and test statistical models including linear regression, logistic regression and related generalized linear models
- Able to perform hypothesis testing, and clearly communicate statistical validity of results
- Experience with cloud based analytic tools like PySpark or DataBricks
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
We Lead with Diversity, Inclusion and Compassion
At Optum Labs, we are dedicated to building teams where every individual is recognized for their unique experience and contributions. Our Leadership Principles underscore our commitment to inclusion, encouraging us to ‘walk in each other’s shoes’ and open doors for our peers.
UnitedHealth Group supports local, regional, and national organizations that share these values through joint initiatives, event and program participation, volunteerism and giving. Through our Connected Communities, employees can connect with others who have similar or different life experiences and backgrounds. These groups are led by peers, supported by Human Capital, and championed by leaders.
We Invest in Talent
Managers at every level are committed to their roles as talent stewards who help guide and nurture professional development. We want our employees to reach their highest level of potential just as they help us reach ours.
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $82,100 to $146,900. The salary range for Connecticut/Nevada residents is $90,500 to $161,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.