Location: London Reporting to: Engineering Manager
As a Software Engineer you will be responsible for delivering high-quality software and products, able to be deployed frequently and safely into production. Working with similarly minded people, you will help to shape the way we use and adopt technologies and practices, with a modern engineering mindset. You are an advocate of test automation and have a clear view of where to make the best use of it.
At Rightmove we work as part of autonomous cross-functional teams in an agile environment. Each team owns a part of the Rightmove experience made up of design, product and engineering. You will collaborate to ensure we deliver quality solutions that satisfy millions of users, thousands of agents and hundreds of passionate Rightmovers. You will be responsible for defining solutions to business and technical problems in a way which ensures maintainability, scalability and high performance standards. We work collaboratively across a mix of product and centralised teams, together working towards Rightmoves strategy.
A typical week as a Software Engineer might involve
- Developing features and improvements to our applications using Java, Spring Boot, Elasticsearch, Kafka, Gradle, Hibernate, Couchbase, SQL, Docker
- Collaborating with internal contacts and the team to find solutions to complex problems
- Contributing to key decisions, including which features to include during team sprints
- Estimating user stories
- Reviewing other developers code and debating options as a team
- Investigating and promoting the latest, emergent technologies
- Working in an Agile environment
- Coach and mentor less experienced engineers to help them develop their technical skills
Were looking for someone who
- Has commercial experience of writing applications with Java
- Has great problem-solving skills
- Is enthusiastic about the importance of testing and promotes TDD
- Enjoys delivering high quality code and likes to debate the merits of different solutions
- Has a keen interest in the performance of live applications and how our users use them
- Wants to use the latest technologies and takes initiative to improve the way the team works
- Looks to share their knowledge with the rest of the product development team
- Likes to ask questions and use the experience of those around them
- Has a sense of ownership and responsibility for the work you and your team deliver
Ultimately, we care much more about the person you are, how you think and approach things, than a list of qualifications and buzzwords on a CV. Even if you cant say 'yes to all of the above, but are smart, self-motivated and passionate about delivering great website then get in touch.
This employer is a corporate member of
myGwork – LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals,
students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.