Research Scientist – Molecular Biology (1438)
Oxford Nanopore Technologies is headquartered at the Oxford Science Park outside Oxford, UK, with satellite offices and commercial presence in many global locations across the US, APAC and Europe.
Oxford Nanopore employs from multiple subject areas including Nanopore science, molecular biology and applications, informatics, engineering, electronics, manufacturing and commercialisation. The management team, led by CEO Dr Gordon Sanghera, has a track record of delivering disruptive technologies to the market.
Oxford Nanopore's sequencing platform is the only technology that offers real-time analysis (for rapid insights), in fully scalable formats from pocket to population scale, that can analyse native DNA or RNA and sequence any length of fragment to achieve short to ultra-long read lengths.
Our goal is to enable the analysis of any living thing, by anyone, anywhere. We offer real-time Nanopore-based DNA/RNA sequencing technology: accessible, easy to use and fully scalable for any requirement.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join the Genome Foundry Team as a Research Scientist. You will use your Molecular Biology experience and make an invaluable contribution in advancing our novel proprietary DNA synthesis method, which will have a profound real-life impact across multiple applications including synthetic biology, biopharmaceuticals, nanotechnology and data storage!
This exciting and challenging role strives to accelerate the advancement of new DNA synthesis method. The successful will be involved in research and development of our DNA synthesis technology by designing, assessing and optimising molecular biology aspects of the research and will plan, execute and communicate the results on their project to the group lead and other collaborators.
The role will involve:
– Developing our proprietary DNA synthesis technology by investigating multiple schemes, designs and processes
– Designing, assessing and optimising biochemical protocols for advancing out DNA synthesis chemistry
– Carrying out experiments to drive improvement of enzymatic and biochemical assays
– Preparing clearly articulated experimental reports and data presentations whilst maintaining well organised records
– Communicating with internal and external collaborators including senior management
– Working alongside group within the company to secure intellectual property; patents, trade secrets
– Assisting with recruitment and interviewing where necessary
– Ensure any work being undertaken, either by themselves or by others they are leading, meets company H&S requirements
– Any other duties as might be required within the remit and responsibilities of the post
What We're Looking For…
We'll expect you to have a PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology Enzymology or related field with several years of postdoctoral experience ideally in industry.
You will have proven understanding and experience in developing biochemical assays and optimisation and characterisation of biochemical reactions involving DNA.
You will need to be self-motivated and you will be working independently as well as together with other co-workers in a multidisciplinary setting for rapidly solving groundbreaking scientific challenges.
Previous experiences of leading junior scientists and involvement in recruiting new members of the team are advantageous.
You will have an opportunity to utilise your skills to make a real contribution towards the next disruptive technology in a global organisation while maintaining its start-up culture. The position has a very exciting future with excellent opportunities to build your career. We offer outstanding benefits to include an attractive bonus, generous pension contributions, private healthcare and an excellent starting salary.
Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person's gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.