Exscientia is at the forefront of Artificial Intelligence (AI)-driven drug discovery and design. By fusing the power of AI with the discovery experience of seasoned drug hunters, Exscientia is the first company to automate drug design, surpassing conventional approaches.
Exscientia’s innovative platform enables breakthrough productivity gains as well as new approaches to improve drug efficacy. By applying a rapid design-make-test cycle, the Exscientia AI platform actively learns from the preceding experimental results and rapidly evolves compounds towards the desired candidate criteria. Its success has led to collaborations with multiple leading pharmaceutical companies. We are the first and only drug-discovery company to introduce a clinical compound into man that was produced using AI.
We are expanding our in vitro pharmacology capabilities at our Oxford site and seeking experienced, motivated and dynamic individuals to join our ground-breaking GPCR team. This group provides critical data and insights to drive our drug discovery projects within our brand-new state-of-the art laboratories. These roles will be responsible for conceiving, developing and executing biochemical and cellular assays in support of GPCR-targeting drug-discovery projects, and assisting in managing or leading projects depending on experience. You will be given the freedom to design, plan and execute a variety of experiments often in areas of novel biology and for new or understudied GPCR targets. Dependent on experience, the scientist will design screening cascades and assess translation between biochemical and cellular systems and disease models, with opportunities for project leadership. The GPCR team works closely with the Protein Sciences, Biophysics, Crystallography, and AI-design teams to uncover innovative solutions to GPCR drug discovery.
We are looking to recruit outstanding drug discovery scientists with expertise in cellular plate-based screening methods, in particular GPCR assays and GPCR biology, to help drive development of therapeutic small molecules with a focus on compound characterisation, mechanism of action, and the rapid identification of candidate molecules. These are primarily laboratory-based positions with significant opportunity for continual learning and development. We are seeking scientists with a range of experience and capabilities. There will be significant scope for personal growth and leadership across a range of activities including leadership and team management, dependent on experience and ambition.
- MSc degree in Biology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry or a related discipline, or a BSc with significant relevant experience, preferably in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry.
- Experience in sterile techniques and cell culture
- Screening of small molecules in plate-based formats
- Experience in basic data analysis including dose response relationships
- In vitro assay development and assay optimisation
- Practical understanding of a wide range of cell biology techniques such as reporter assays, BRET, FRET and HTRF, and other luminescence and fluorescence-based assays (e.g. calcium-sensitive dyes).
- Flexible, adaptable and able to work across multiple projects
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal – able to communicate technical information to a non-specialist audience
- Basic molecular biology (e.g. transformations, DNA preps)
- Previous experience of working in small molecule drug discovery pipeline
- Previous experience working with GPCRs or a working knowledge of basic GPCR biology and literature
- Understanding of signalling and binding assays, and concepts like allostery
- Experience with mechanism of action studies
- Use of automation, liquid handling and experience (e.g. nanolitre dispensing (Echo/Mosquito))
- Experience of medium to high-throughput screening assays
- Experience with LIMS systems
- Experience of interacting effectively across interfaces of discipline, culture, and expertise
- Working with external partners and successful transfer of assays
- Work together to make a positive contribution to patients by revolutionising the pharmaceutical industry through AI-driven discovery.
- We will work with you to kick-start or further grow your career – from funding for professional development and conference attendance. To also ensuring you will have the opportunity to acquire valuable skills, work on problems that matter, and learn from world-class technical and scientific leaders.
- Opportunity to join an inclusive, collaborative and intellectually stimulating culture
- We will work with you to provide a highly competitive compensation as we continue to grow and thrive.
- Our teams health and well-being is important to us which is why we provide private healthcare, life assurance, wellbeing and mindfulness support.
- We offer a generous holiday allowance, provide flexible working and remote working to encourage all of our team to manage their own work, time and life.
- When you are in the office, you will have access to a kitchen stocked with an endless supply of food for all employees along with plenty of break out areas so you can get to know the people you are working with. Some of the best ideas start with a coffee break!
- Hear from our team why they enjoy working here Click here