*This job may sit in anywhere within the United States and is a remote position.
We believe in the power and joy of learning
At Cengage Group, our employees have a direct impact in helping students around the world discover the power and joy of learning. We are bonded by our shared purpose – driving innovation that helps millions of learners improve their lives and achieve their dreams through education.
Our culture values diversity, engagement, and discovery
Our business is driven by our strong culture, and we know that creating an inclusive and diverse workplace is absolutely essential to the success of our company and our learners, as well as our individual well-being. We recognize the value of diverse perspectives in everything we do, and strive to ensure employees of all levels and backgrounds feel empowered to voice their ideas and bring their authentic selves to work. We achieve these priorities through inclusive programs, benefits, and initiatives that are integrated into the fabric of how we work every day. To learn more, please see https://www.cengagegroup.com/about/inclusion-and-diversity/.
What You'll Do Here:
As a DevOps Engineer your role is hands on, you will be writing lots of automation tooling and soliciting feedback and listening to your users (the engineering teams). You are going to help us with building out a fully automated build, publish, and deployment pipeline and runtime. We do not believe in Greenfield of Dreams (build it, and they will come). Evangelism is a key part of this process.
- Collaborate with operations and engineers to understand needs to help safely, reliably, and repeatably move software faster.
- Operate, update, and maintain our build, publish and deployment pipelines and tools along with our runtime environments.
- Help define processes to streamline the pipeline process.
- Develop and maintain internal applications written in Java and Python.
- Document the tools/processes to help in understanding, knowledge sharing, and onboarding to the tool/process.
- Assist teams in identifying and mitigating of build, publish, or runtime issues.
- Collaborate with multi-functional roles to communicate and align development efforts with Operations Roadmap.
- Work with teams to understand and implement best practices in AWS.
- Assist in onboarding to our tools such as Splunk, DynaTrace, Vault, Artifactory, etc.
- Assist in tool and technology evaluations.
Skills You Will Need Here:
- Minimum 5+ years of development experience.
- Understand code design principles and how to write clean code.
- Basic AWS knowledge to maintain our multiple AWS services to guarantee high availability for production environments.
- Good interpersonal communication skills and ability to work well in a diverse, team-focused environment with other Engineers, Product Managers, etc.
- Will be required to document Infrastructure and Security systems.
- Will be a plus if experienced with:
- Utilization of Infrastructure as code using tools like Terraform (preferred), Ansible and/or CloudFormation.
- Experience with application clustering/load balancing concepts and technologies.
- Experience with Cloud Foundry (strongly recommended), docker, and Kubernetes.
- Experience with Maven, Spring Boot, and other Java build tools.
- Experience with CI/CD toolsets and methodologies like Concourse, Spinnaker and/or Jenkins.
- Experience extending Jenkins via Groovy and Python pipelines.
- Familiarity with Linux, MacOS, and Windows as development and deployment platforms.
- Experience with relational databases like MySQL, Postgres, MariaDB, and Aurora.
- Ability to promote Test Driven Development and popular software development lifecycle practices.
- Experience with networking.
- Preferred – Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience.
Our team strongly values:
- Having an opinion and being able to verbally convey that opinion.
- Interpersonal skills are just as important as technical experience and skill.
- Thinking about and treating our engineering partners as users. This means building out wiki pages, sample implementations, SDKs that make sense, and helping our partners implement what we create.
- The ability to make a decision, popular or not, and back it up with clearly articulated rationale.
- Realistic, pragmatic approaches to solving problems. Academic excellence that doesn’t actually ship, or worse yet, is never adopted is just wasted time.
- Meeting our engineering teams where they are. We see these as opportunities to upskill our partners and to help them achieve their goals.
Cengage Group is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, parental status, cultural background, organizational level, work styles, tenure and life experiences. Or for any other reason. You may view Cengage’s EEO/Affirmative Action Policy signed by CEO Michael Hansen and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notice by visiting their corresponding links.
Cengage Group is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or you may call us at +1 (617) 289-7917.
About Cengage Group
Cengage Group, a global education technology company serving millions of learners, provides affordable, quality digital products and services that equip students with the skills and competencies needed to be job ready. For more than 100 years, we have enabled the power and joy of learning with trusted, engaging content, and now, integrated digital platforms. We serve the higher education, workforce skills, secondary education, English language teaching and research markets worldwide. Through our scalable technology, including MindTap and Cengage Unlimited, we support all learners who seek to improve their lives and achieve their dreams through education.