Site Name: USA – Pennsylvania – Upper Providence, UK – Hertfordshire – Stevenage
Posted Date: Oct 5 2022
US Hiring Locations: Upper Providence, PA
UK Hiring Locations: Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Remote Working: Possible option
Our team collaborates with top laboratory and clinical scientists to advance innovative ideas in drug discovery. We design experiments, analyze data, and visualize results for projects that range from small studies with single endpoints to high-dimensional genomic data. We use traditional statistical methods and modern machine learning algorithms, design experiments to develop new technologies and analyze data to identify biomarkers for clinical trials. Our work is varied and challenging with the common goal to advance the science of human health.
To succeed, team members need good technical and communication skills, the desire to develop their statistical and scientific knowledge continually, and the ability to develop practical solutions and apply statistical techniques in creative ways. Successful candidates will be innovative, pragmatic, and flexible, thriving in a dynamic, collegial environment with frequent new challenges and excellent opportunities to develop and succeed.
In this role, you will provide hands-on statistical consulting for scientific research areas within GSK drug discovery.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to (vary by position level):
- Collaborating with GSK scientists and scientific management to address important drug discovery questions with statistical methods
- Identifying key scientific challenges that can be addressed with statistical methods and proposing how to do so
- Applying existing statistical methods or developing new methods to address scientific problems
- Designing experiments and ensuring they address scientific questions clearly and accurately
- Analyzing data and ensuring the results can be relied upon for making important drug discovery decisions around targets, molecules, and technologies
- Communicating statistical concepts, designs, and analytical results clearly and accurately to GSK scientists and research managers at all levels
- Working with other statisticians on internal department initiatives, e.g., to develop specific technical or consulting skills, streamlined processes, etc.
- Reviewing literature and writing simulations to evaluate statistical methods for application to drug discovery problems.
- Collaborating with other internal statistics teams to accomplish joint objectives.
- Supervising a small team (2-5 people) of statisticians, enhancing their ability to address key scientific questions by providing technical (statistical and scientific) direction to projects and by developing their consulting skills
- Identifying and contributing statistics methodological expertise within the team through ongoing personal development and collaboration on challenging technical problems
GSKs overall R&D strategy focuses on science related to the immune system, the use of human genetics and advanced technologies. These unlock the potential of new areas of science, enabling us to design and develop new classes of medicine and bring them to patients more quickly and cost-effectively.
Applications close once position is filled.
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the cover letter of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- MSc or PhD in statistics, biostatistics, or a closely related field with formal statistical training
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Strong academic record
- Significant experience as a statistician, collaborating with scientists from other disciplines
- Strong oral and written English communication skills
For Principal Statistician ability to:
- Apply statistical skills accurately to practical problems
- Collaborate well with statisticians and scientists from other disciplines
- Explain novel and standard statistical methods clearly to scientific colleagues
- Identify existing or develop new statistical methods to improve the design, analysis, and interpretation of scientific studies
- Evaluate, recommend, and implement statistical tools for addressing scientific problems
- Learn new statistics skills quickly and independently
For Statistics Leader demonstrated ability to:
- Identify existing or develop new statistical methods to improve the design, analysis, and interpretation of scientific studies in drug discovery
- Evaluate, recommend, and implement statistical tools for addressing scientific problems
- Deliver statistical consulting (design, analysis, and interpretation of studies) to scientists in multiple disciplines
- Take a leadership role in multi-disciplinary teams
- Build and maintain relationships with customer groups
- Drive the adoption of statistical best practice within Research & Development
- Lead initiatives within a statistics team to develop internal capability
- Develop junior staff through mentoring or supervision
- Interest in continually learning and applying new statistical skills
Motivated to continue learning new statistical skills and to solve challenging problems in drug discovery
Practical understanding of at least some of the following statistics topics:
- Experimental design, mixed models, Bayesian methods, linear and nonlinear regression, repeated measures, machine learning algorithms, analysis of high-dimensional data
- Genomics, molecular biology, disease biology, and cellular, tissue, and animal models
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, its also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. Were committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSKs compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSKs Transparency Reporting For the Record site.