What you'll do…
It’s an exciting time to join our Walmart journey. Want to use design and coding skills to solve real-life large-scale problems impacting millions of lives?
We are seeking a Principal Software Engineer FinTech for a key position in Finance Technology to support the Central Item Level Ledger (CILL) team. The goal of the Central Item Level Ledger is to be the authoritative source for Walmart financial reporting data. This data will be leveraged by our financial reporting systems and third-party service centers, enabling the capability to publish financial data centrally in real-time. This role will support multiple DevOp teams in the design, development, and deployment of data pipelines that transforms, aggregates, and enriches Walmart financial data. The ideal candidate will have a strong Software Engineering background, knowledge of big-data design patterns and technologies, an understanding of the public cloud, as well as a passion for enabling our end users. You’ll need to be a team player and have a passion for building products that add value to customers, both immediately and over time.
About the Team
As a part of Walmart Finance Technology, you will work alongside a cutting-edge technology team building industry-leading solutions to support Walmart’s financial systems’ needs. We provide the systems that allow the Fortune 1 company to close the books each month and report financial statements externally each quarter. More than $500 Billion in annual revenue flows through these systems, so you will be working with large data sets and large financials. You will be in the unique position to be of service to both our customers and our associates as a member of this organization, supporting all segments of Walmart.
As a technical leader, you will be a key part of the team–leading software design and implementation, solving problems, maintaining quality standards, ensuring adherence to architecture principles, and proposing creative ideas that solution problems faster, while ensuring engineering efficiency as we collaborate with our end users to deliver world-class software solutions.
If you have a strong sense of ownership, a love for data, a passion for technology; enjoy solving complex problems; can foster strong relationships and build trust and work for the success of the entire team – then our Principal Software Engineer CILL position could be for you.
You'll sweep us off our feet if:
- You’re a problem solver
- You’re experienced with designing best in class user experience in mobile with offline first design
- You have a great eye for detail and can articulate the specifics of quality design while enforcing engineering principles
- You’re organized, disciplined, and can manage large project simultaneously
- You have high standards for code quality and can hold contributors accountable
- You’re stimulated by challenges and are ready to engage at Fortune 1 scale
What you'll do…
- Lead the work of other small groups of six to ten engineers in software development and design, identifying short- and long- term solutions and timeline; reviewing and approving proposed solutions, implementing new architectural patterns; and performing design and code reviews of changes.
- Provides support to the business for new and existing systems by responding to user questions, concerns, and issues (for example, technical feasibility); researching and identifying needed solutions; determining implementation designs; providing guidance regarding implications of new and enhanced systems; and directing users to appropriate contacts for issues outside of own domain.
- Troubleshoots business and production issues by gathering information (for example, issue, impact, criticality); performing root cause analysis to reduce future issues; engaging support teams when needed; developing solutions; driving the development of an action plan; performing actions as designated in the plan; and completing online documentation.
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and guidance to others in the application of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and building commitment for perspectives and rationales.
- Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Models’ compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company standards of ethics and integrity by incorporating these into the development and implementation of business plans; using the Open Door Policy; and demonstrating and assisting others with how to apply these in executing business processes and practices.
What you'll bring…
- Over 8+ years of experience in building business applications
- Advanced knowledge of front-end design patterns, data structures and algorithms.
- Clear Communication, including the ability to create functional charts
- Ability to multitask between several different requirements and features concurrently
- Experience with cloud native technology, CI/CD
- Experience with third-party libraries and APIs
- Superior analytical skills with a good problem-solving attitude.
- Ability to perform in a team environment
- Have a true passion about Technology. It’s a must!
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Functional programming experience (Computer Science or similar, specifically with Scala coding experience)
- Spark SQL
- Spark Streaming
- Kafka and/or Event Hub, IBM MQ
- Database technologies (DB2, Azure Data Lake)
- File Systems
- ETL data modeling (both structured and unstructured data)
- Experience with any of the cloud providers (Azure, GCP, AWS) is a plus
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas, and opinions while being inclusive of all people.
About Global Tech
- Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
- Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We’ll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.