Principal Software Engineer
About our Team
As a data engineering team within the Analytics domain, our mission is to build and maintain systems that provide insights into Elsevier products. The industry agreed reports we generate are independently audited and is a trusted source of information for our customers and internal stakeholders. These reports, supplemented by various other metrics, helps in understanding the value of our digital resources and guide customer decisions.
About the Role
As a Principal Software Engineer you will collaborate with a cross functional team to design and develop systems that scale for large volumes of data and are maintainable. You will work closely with the engineers to deliver good quality software that benefits our customers.
- Collaborate as part of a tight-knit, agile, quality-focused team to design solutions and deliver tangible value to our customers
- Engage in all aspects of the development lifecycle, apply best practices and drive improvements
- Grow talent by mentoring software engineers
- Excellent programming skills, with experience of building microservices or distributed systems with Java or Scala
- An advocate of agile practices for rapid development of quality software, such as CI, TDD, and continuous deployment
- Experience with working in a multi-disciplinary team, where Cloud Infrastructure specialists, QE, and Developers work side-by-side
- Comfortable with learning new technologies, languages and tools on the job
- Experience or willingness to work as part of a collaborative DevOps enabled team
Work in a way that works for you
We promote a healthy work/life balance across the organisation. With an average length of service of 9 years, we are confident that we offer an appealing working prospect for our people. With numerous wellbeing initiatives, shared parental leave, study assistance and sabbaticals, we will help you meet your immediate responsibilities and your long-term goals.
You will be based out of the London office primarily, and we have great flexibility in how that applies to your personal situation, particularly in the current circumstances.
Working with us
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to help you succeed. Here, you will find an inclusive, agile, collaborative, innovative and fun environment, where everyone has a part to play. Regardless of the team you join, we promote a diverse environment with co-workers who are passionate about what they do, and how they do it.
Working for you
At Elsevier, we know that your wellbeing and happiness are key to a long and successful career. These are some of the benefits we are delighted to offer:
- Generous holiday allowance with the option to buy additional days
- Health screening, eye care vouchers and private medical benefits
- Wellbeing programs
- Life assurance
- Access to a competitive contributory pension scheme
- Long service awards
- Save As You Earn share option scheme
- Travel Season ticket loan
- Maternity, paternity and shared parental leave
- Access to emergency care for both the elderly and children
- RECARES days, giving you time to support the charities and causes that matter to you
- Access to employee resource groups with dedicated time to volunteer
- Access to extensive learning and development resources
- Access to employee discounts via Perks at Work
A global leader in information and analytics, we help researchers and healthcare professionals’ advance science and improve health outcomes for the benefit of society. Building on our publishing heritage, we combine quality information and vast data sets with analytics to support visionary science and research, health education and interactive learning, as well as exceptional healthcare and clinical practice. At Elsevier, your work contributes to the world’s grand challenges and a more sustainable future. We harness innovative technologies to support science and healthcare to partner for a better world.
Are you ready to help us progress science and health? Our technology leads to innovation, so join a forward-thinking digital business that is tackling world-scale challenges and align your ambitions with our passion for driving global knowledge-sharing.