Your role in a nutshell
The Body Shop exists to fight for a fairer, more beautiful world. This is our purpose, and it drives everything we do. This is no different when it comes to data. If you are looking to work for an in-house data team that strives to use data to support The Body Shops purpose then read on..
Principal Software Engineers take our teams of fantastic engineers and turn them into a coherent ecosystem by providing support and mentoring. You will bring a wealth of knowledge in software development practices, both technical and interpersonal, and use them to drive the development of the team. You will work with senior stakeholders across the teams, divisions and countries and be responsible for building code that will help drive sales and profit for the business.
More about the role
As a Principal Software Engineer you will drive innovation within the team, working closely with the Tech Lead to push continuous improvement, and with the team, contribute to all aspects of software delivery, evaluating feasibility, exploring requirements, and delivering solutions. As our business diversifies, you will be expected to learn and work on technologies and functionality as its developed, while maintaining the supportability of our global tech stack.
Key Role Accountabilities:
- Developing end to end solutions using best practice engineering methodology while adhering to the relevant IT Architecture and CISO controls and standards
- Supporting end product/ solution operational acceptance by enabling and maintaining agreed functional performance as and where required
- Identifying and implementing suitable detailed development activities for each sprint set of epics/ stories in accordance with best practice standards and processes as advised
- Providing appropriate planning and estimation of development tasks to support both sprint planning and enable continuous improvement activity
- Ensuring end to end solution functional integrity at all times including meeting strict regulatory and data compliance requirements where identified
- Development practices across the domain, working on improving our technical expertise
- Identifying & driving potential system upgrades both internally and with our 3rd party provider
What we look for
Strong teamwork skills, working with others to resolve issues efficiently
Extensive knowledge and experience in development practices including BDD/TDD, using associated tools for testing and continuous integration & deployment
Strong understanding of Agile principles and how they apply to the software development lifecycle
Experience with development of micro services in a cloud environment
Experience operating within heavily regulated environments including external regulated consumer products and service offerings
Proficiency in creating self-contained, reusable, and testable modules and components
Experience of communicating with a wide and varied audience at various seniority grades
Proficient understanding of code version control tools, such as Git
Should have working experience on Cloud and its services (Azure, AWS or GCP)
Understanding and implementation of containerisation for service deployment
Extensive knowledge of CSS and JS methods for providing performant visual effects
Experience with developing complete responsive user interface in the form of a mobile and desktop web app, with a focus on performance
Strong understanding of modern software development principles (SOLID/DRY)
Coding & debugging skills in C#, Java & Go
Thats a lot to ask for so in return we offer
* a 6% contributory pension plan (that rises with loyalty)
* 23 days holiday plus bank holidays – time to refresh and recharge (you can buy/sell holiday)
* 1 Self Love Day An extra day off per year to recharge and focus on what you love to do most
* 3 additional days a year to volunteer in the local community to support the causes you feel most passionate about
* Discretionary bonus scheme
* LOVE Money Money from us to spend on YOUR wellbeing – pamper yourself on us. Every year.
* 50% employee discount on our products and access to sample sales
* Access to Perks at Work, our online shopping channel with exclusive deals & discounts
* Access to our Nourish platform, where you have access at certain times of the year to fantastic benefits such as; Buying/Selling holiday, Pension Top Up, Private Medical Insurance options, Green Car Benefits, Cycle To Work scheme, Techscheme, On site nursery (for Littlehampton colleagues), and much more!
* Life Assurance
* EAP (Employee Assistance Program) We work with experts to support you on all aspects of your Wellbeing: Physical, Mental and Financial.
* AND – we have also implemented Hybrid working into our HQs in London Bridge and Littlehampton, West Sussex.
If you are excited by all that – you might just be the sort of person we need to help us make the impactful change the world needs within a business that invented the culture of joyful collective' and everything that means and stands for.
The Body Shop
When Anita Roddick founded The Body Shop in 1976, she had a vision. Business as a force for good thats us. Over 40 years later, were proud to be pioneering cruelty-free beauty every step of the way. Were the original ethical beauty brand. Weve got a thing for empowering people and enriching our planet. Were all about keeping it real, in every way possible. Our activist roots remain a huge part of everything we do, from our iconic window posters to our vegetarian products to our infamous campaigns. Were never afraid to stand up and speak the truth. We like to do things a little differently around here.
The Body Shop, along with Aesop and Natura, is part of Natura & Co, a global, multi-channel and multi-brand cosmetics group that is committed to generating positive economic, social and environmental impact. Group owner Natura is Brazil's number one cosmetics manufacturer. Sustainable development has been the company's guiding principle since it was founded in 1969. In fact, this is an incredibly exciting time for The Body Shop. Were fighting for what we believe in now more than ever. No holding back. Breaking the mould has always come naturally to us, and we need someone whos not afraid to mix things up.
The Body Shop is committed to attracting, developing and retaining the very best people by offering a creative and inclusive workplace where talent is truly recognised and rewarded. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are proud to have a number of different active employee networks that serve not just as a catalyst for change, but to build a spirit of diversity, equality and inclusivity; a safe and supportive space for engagement and solidarity for members of these communities.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable access to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request any specific requirements.