The Defence and Space Business Unit in BAE Systems Applied Intelligence delivers mission focused solutions in cyber & electronic warfare, digital transformation and special communications to clients across Land, Sea, Air, Space and Cyber.
We are looking to recruit researchers to join our rapidly expanding Data Research group based in Great Baddow, Essex.
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Laboratories is seeking to recruit researchers to join our rapidly expanding Data Research group. We are looking for candidates who are adaptable, enthusiastic and highly motivated. You should have existing skills in Artificial Intelligence or neural net based Machine Learning and will need to be a proficient programmer, preferably in Python, with extensive experience in the use of libraries and toolboxes to support efficient development. The right candidate will join our Advanced Information Processing team, specialising in the application of AI/ML to time series data, but you will also have the opportunity to deliver a wide range of Data science research topics for customers across the space, defence, security and commercial sectors as well as into our internal BAE Systems programmes. You will also have the opportunity to maintain strong links with Academic partners and to grow technical research areas of interest to you.
The Data Research group has a diverse range of teams working in: reinforcement learning, NLP, knowledge graphs and graph based neural nets, AI for RF and EW, sonar and acoustics and computer vision and you will have the opportunity to work with these colleagues in multi-disciplinary teams. Candidates will also have the opportunity to mix technical challenges with customer-facing and project support tasks.
In addition to a solid academic background and excellent written and verbal communication skills, we are interested in candidates with experience applying AI/ML in disciplines such as autonomy, tracking, RF/EW, radar and acoustic processing.
- Lead technical delivery of projects. Prepare and deliver technical reports, technical proposals and supporting material
- Lead novel research in given topic areas, often in partnership with leading UK Universities
- Develop prototypes and proof of concept demonstrators
- Take ownership of tasks in projects and deliver to challenging standards
- Work effectively both on self-directed projects and as part of a project team
- Effectively present results to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Undertake mentoring of junior staff in time-series research
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Several years of expertise in the application of AI/ML to time series data. You will probably have a PhD or equivalent in a relevant discipline. Of particular interest are candidates with experience in the domains of:
- RF comms
- Pattern of life analytics
- Acoustic processing
- Evidence of publication in relevant journals and conferences is essential.
- Appetite for working in a secure environment is desirable but not essential.
- Experience in software development in any of the following: Java, Python
- Experience with ML frameworks: TensorFlow, Pytorch, scikit-learn etc is essential
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Data Analysis and Management
UK, Europe & Africa