Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Make digital experiences in healthcare easier for members by applying data science methods to diverse data sources. Apply your knowledge of statistics, machine learning, programming, data modeling, simulation, and advanced mathematics to recognize patterns, identify opportunities, pose business questions, and make valuable discoveries leading to prototype development and product improvement. Work with analytics, statistical software, and database technologies such as Python, Spark, Databricks, and others to perform analysis and interpret data.
General Job Profile
- Company thought leader
- Functional SME
- Broad business approach
- Resource to senior leadership
- Develops pioneering approaches to emerging industry trends
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Develop actionable machine learning solutions and propose recommendations and strategies to solve commercial opportunities in unique ways that return optimal value to our business
- Assess internal data and processes to determine opportunities for application of advanced analytics for broad division-wide analytic usage
- Participate in meetings with business stakeholders, data experts, software/platform engineering, and digital product teams to scope data science use-cases and convert them into scope of work
- Be a storyteller to explain the ‘why and how’ of your data driven recommendations to cross-functional teams
- Be a hands-on leader and teach by example by building prototypes using variety of predictive methods while adhering to the ML development cycle (e.g. iterative EDA, prediction specification, feature engineering and model tunning)
- Self-drive knowledge accumulation of methods and modeling advances by reading research publications, blogs and attending presentations and webinars
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Master's or Ph.D. degree in computer science, applied mathematics, (bio) statistics, applied statistics, economics, business, or similar quantitative fields of study
- 4+ years of hands-on experience in developing analytics with machine learning, deep learning, NLP, and/or other related modeling techniques
- 3+ years of experience using advanced data science tools such as Python, R, SQL, Spark and H2O
- 3+ years of experience managing analytical or data science resources
- 3+ years of experience wrangling large datasets with big data tools such as Hadoop, Hive and Spark
- 3+ years of experience developing and deploying analytic solutions using AWS/Azure/GCP
- Ability to travel up to 5% (approximately once or twice a year for onsite meetings) when business requires
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Experience with health care data
- Experience with Databricks / Jupyter notebooks
- Experience with version control (for example Git Version Control system)
- Experience working in an agile environment
- UI design experience for automated and-or end-user-interactive visualizations (for example using Tableau, Power BI, R Shiny, Python Dash)
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $97,300 to $176,900. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $97,300 to $176,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.