The Leidos Innovations Center has an immediate opening for a Principal Data Scientist to work in our Arlington, VA or San Diego, CA office. This is an exciting opportunity to leverage your experience to develop edge AI and distributed computing infrastructure within diverse sensor networks. Emphasis is on research and development with activities ranging from support of early scientific research to transitioning products to production. This position seeks a candidate with a balanced skill set of analytics, data management, embedded systems, and sensors to develop state of the art intelligent sensor network and data fusion algorithms.
- Formulating, suggesting, and managing data-driven projects related to device development for advanced sensors and sensor systems.
- Develop and test AI and data fusion algorithms for CBRN, Acoustic, Seismic, Magnetic, and/or EO/IR sensor devices and networks.
- Delegating tasks and managing Junior Data Scientists in order to realize the successful completion of projects.
- Selecting and employing advanced statistical procedures to obtain actionable insights.
- Cross-validating models to ensure their generalizability.
- Producing and disseminating non-technical reports that detail the successes and limitations of each project.
- Collaborate in scientific research, engineering product development, and test activities. Contribute to design reviews and present designs for review.
- Staying informed about developments in Data Science and adjacent fields to ensure that outputs are always relevant.
- B.S. degree in Engineering, Physics, Statistics, or related field with 12+ years of relevant experience or MS with 10+ years of relevant experience as an electrical engineer in an R&D environment. May possess a Doctorate in a technical domain.
- Possess an active DoD Top Secret Security Clearance.
- Well-organized, reliable, attention to detail, demonstrated personal initiative. Ability to multi-task and prioritize workload. Good interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate work with others. Good oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working with cross-functional R&D development teams.
- Motivated self-starter able to work under minimal supervision and an entrepreneurial approach to roles and responsibilities.
- 15% travel to customer sites as required to meet program and testing milestones.
- Demonstrated leadership of small technical teams and projects.
- Strong understanding of CBRN, ASM, and EO/IR sensor systems and a well-rounded engineering background to tackle a variety of tasks as they come up in the development cycle.
- Experience reviewing and documenting technical data packages for military products.
- Experience with modern IoT infrastructure, real-time data processing pipelines, and edge AI is a plus.
- Operational, Training, or Field-level Test & Evaluation experience in multi-sensor fusion and sensor network surveillance systems.