Principal Data Engineer – Dublin (Remote or Hybrid)
Optum, the fast-growing part of UnitedHealth Group, is a leading information and technology-enabled health services business. Our teams are dedicated to modernizing the health care system and improving the lives of people and communities.
Do you want to impact decisions to help people live healthier lives? Do you want to become an innovative Data Engineer who thrives on developing new solutions to solve tough challenges?
We want to achieve more in our mission of health care, and so we have to be really smart about the business of health care. At Optum, we're changing the landscape of our industry. You will put your technical skills to work as you empower business partners and team members improve healthcare delivery. You will research cutting edge big data tools, and design innovative data products / solutions to solve business problems that only a Data Engineer can.
You will be working on innovative data solutions driving and supporting various analytical solution with popular data frameworks in the industry like Apache Spark, Kafka, Presto, etc. You will be an important member of a team focused on innovation; developing proofs of concepts that leverage data in new and exciting ways. It will give you a great opportunity to get into the Data world and learn best practices in the industry working with data both on-prem and in cloud.
Careers with Optum offer flexible work arrangements and individual who live and work in the Republic of Ireland will have the opportunity to split their monthly work hours between our Dublin office and telecommuting from a home-based office in a hybrid or remote work model.
- Design and build data pipelines (mostly in Databricks/Spark/DBT) to process terabytes of data
- Orchestrate in Azure Data Factory/Airflow the data tasks to run on Azure Functions for the ingestion,
- processing and cleaning of data.
- Create Docker images for various applications and deploy them on Azure
- Design and build best in class processes to clean and standardize data.
- Design and build tests in Great Expectations
- Troubleshoot production issues in our Azure Environment
- Tuning and optimizing data processes
- Work on Proof of Concepts for Big Data and Data Science
- Modelling of big volume datasets to maximize performance for our customers
- Serves as a leader/ mentor.
Hands-on experience of the following
- Developing processes in Spark/Databricks
- Writing complex SQL queries
- Building ETL/data pipelines
- Exposure to Kubernetes or Docker
- Related/complementary open-source software platforms and languages (e.g. Scala, Python, Java, Linux) (Python preferred)
- Azure/Amazon AWS
- Azure Data Factory/Airflow
- Jenkins / Travis
- Microsoft Synapse
- Previous experience with Relational Databases (RDBMS) & Non- Relational Database
- Analytical and problem-solving experience applied to a Big Data environment and Distributed Processing.
- Experience working in projects with agile/scrum methodologies
- Exposure to DevOps methodology
- Data warehousing principles (eg Kimball, Inmon, Data Vault), architecture and its implementation in large environments
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.SM
All telecommuters will be required to adhere to the UnitedHealth Group's Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.