Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It’s an opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)
The Principal Data Analyst is responsible for the management and manipulation of mostly structured data, with a focus on building business intelligence tools, conducting analysis, performing normalization operations, and assuring data quality focusing on total cost of care to accelerate identification of opportunities, quantify value, and measure actual value achieved monthly. Functions include creating specifications to bring data into a common structure, creating product specifications and models, developing data solutions to support analyses, performing analyses, interpreting results, developing actionable insights, and presenting recommendations for decision making in creating viable, real-world solutions in a complex health care landscape.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Partner with stakeholders to understand data requirements and develop tools and models such as segmentation, dashboards, data visualizations, decision aids and business case analyses to support the organization strategic goals and projects
- Collaborate with business and technical stakeholders (e.g., business owners, process owners, domain experts) to identify specific business and program requirements
- Gather information needed for defining requirements (e.g., business use cases, user stories)
- Consults stakeholders from various business segments and identifies areas for the development of technical solutions to automate and/or improve business processes. Provides recommendations on new or enhanced systems, software, upgrades, and modifications
- Develop business context diagrams (e.g., business data flows, process flows) to analyze/confirm the definition of project requirements
- Produce and manage the delivery of activity and value analytics to key stakeholders, leaders, and care delivery partners
- Use business intelligence, data visualization, query, analytic and statistical software to build solutions, perform analysis and interpret data
- Design and develop reports and insights to measure KPIs, clinical outcomes, network/program performance and gap analyses
- Support short- and long-term affordability/strategic business activities by developing, enhancing, and maintaining operational metrics and models
- Periodic affordability trend forecasts, explanation of medical cost results and variances, evaluation of emerging medical cost issues, and development and evaluation of healthcare affordability initiatives
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Computer Science, Actuarial Science, Economics, or a related degree
- 8+ years of applied advanced SQL experience
- 8+ years’ experience with large data analytics, data management, extraction and analysis of claims, membership data from data warehouses, data lake/ Snowflake
- 5+ years of SAS, Python or R programming experience, focusing on healthcare utilization, cost drivers, and trends
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with eligibility, claims (institutional, professional, labs, PBM/pharmacy), premiums, capitation
- 3+ years of data visualization experience using Tableau or Power BI
- 3+ years data analysis experience in a managed care/health plan setting
- Advanced Excel skills including pivots, formulas, calculations, charts, graphs, macros and BI Tools
- Master’s degree in Business, Finance, Math, Biostatistics, Statistics, Actuarial Science, Economics, or a related degree
- Tableau/ Power BI certification
- 3+ years leading and directing clinical affordability projects and tasks
- Health Care Consulting experience
- Knowledge and skill in Healthcare Operations: EMR, Practice Management System, Clinic Operations and related
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies now require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles require full COVID-19 vaccination as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here’s the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $97,300 to $176,900. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $97,300 to $176,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Principal Data Analyst, SAS, SQL, Power BI, Claims, R, Python, Telecommute, Telecommuting, Telecommuter, Work From Home, Work At Home, Remote