We have an exciting opportunity to hire a Principal AWS Cloud DevOps Engineer who will be a critical member of the Cloud Platform Engineering Team. This new engineer is the first of a number of new Cloud roles we will be hiring for which will also include Cloud DevOps Engineers, Cloud Architects, Cloud Security Engineers, Cloud DevOps Engineers, and Data Architect/DBAs.
Please note you must have strong AWS experience and knowledge of CloudFormation and Kubernetes.
The Principal Cloud DevOps Engineer will be making critical technical decisions, alongside the Cloud Architect, about how the Post Office runs and operates its Enterprise Services within the Cloud Platform and making subsequent technical changes to those services. This means decisions & deliveries executed, have far-reaching technical implications to the success of the Post Office. These implications will range from how easily & quickly the Post Office can make changes to its services through to how robust and durable those services will be.
The Principal Engineer will need to be able to work across multiple programmes to ensure that the underpinning Cloud Platform is successfully supporting and accelerating them, whilst maintain Post Offices security posture. This means the Principal Engineer will need to be able to take a multifaceted view of disparate technical requirements and design and built appropriate enterprise solutions.
The Principal Engineer will be pivotal in setting engineering best practices, not only within the Cloud Office through practices like design reviews, code reviews technical coaching, and mentoring, but also through implementing the right automation processes and tooling (for example linting, etc).
Finally, the Principal Engineer will help set the DevOps culture within the Post Office. By demonstrating the desired behaviors, such as being data-driven, collaborative, continuous improvement, they will help other programmes to adopt and integrate these practices.
- Responsible for design, development, and implementation of Enterprise-wide critical Cloud solutions such as Cloud identity, Cloud ingress & egress, Cloud monitoring, Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery pipelines, and Cloud cryptographic solutions.
- Serve as a thought leader in developing the team’s capabilities in support of the business that will simplify and automate the applications as well as make them more efficient.
- Participate and be an exemplar in the software development life cycle to ensure sound Cloud solutions are implemented.
- Participate and be an exemplar in planning, implementation, and growth of Post Office Cloud Platform foundational footprint in alignment with the technological vision and business strategy
- Work closely with Architects and Data Engineers to recommend and design database or data storage solutions that effectively reflect our business needs, security, and service level requirements
- Work with application and architecture teams to conduct proof of concept (POC) and implement the design in the production environment in AWS.
- Work with current application teams to understand current applications and make migration recommendations and to-be architectures in AWS as well as support ongoing migration strategy and effort
- Providing advisory support to delivery programs including hands-on full-stack engineering development on projects, coaching, and helping delivery teams to adopt this as part of their development life cycle
- Extensive understanding of the DevOps tooling landscape and has experience integrating various DevOps tools together to provide end to end application life cycle management
- To be a DevOps expert, providing expertise on the DevOps services and provide objective recommendations on DevOps tooling recommendations based on development team requirements
- Develop test protocols or plan for testing revised applications and review test results.
- Serve as project lead or lead technical staff in course of an application development project
- Mentor or Coach less experienced technical staff; may use high-end development tools to assist or facilitate the development process. This will include code reviews of merge requests etc.
- Supporting onboarding of new programme DevOps resources onto the Cloud Platform.
- Development of automated solutions to monitor and support our software development and release processes
- Support programmes with programming and infrastructure automation (e.g. Python, Shell, Java, and JSON).
- Support programmes in designing, developing, deploying, and testing on Cloud Platforms.
Qualifications, experience, and skills
- Significant experience in working within a Cloud-based environment with a proven track record of delivering successful enterprise solutions.
- Strong practical Linux and Windows-based systems administration skills in a Cloud or Virtualized environment.
- Extensive experience building sophisticated and highly automated infrastructure.
- Proven success in automating in a complex real-world production environment.
- Extensive experience with configuration management toolings such as Chef, Puppet, Salt, or Ansible in production environments with many nodes.
- Proven experience in helping teams or programmes adopt configuration management tooling such as Chef, Puppet, Salt, or Ansible in production environments with many nodes.
- Strong scripting skills, i.e., Powershell, Python, Bash, Ruby, Perl, etc.
- Experience with IP networking, VPNs, DNS, load balancing, and firewalling.
- Experience with any monitoring tools like Cloudwatch, DataDog, etc.
- Extensive experience with revision control source code repositories (Git, SVN, Mercurial, Perforce, etc.).
- Management of continuous integration servers like Jenkins, Bamboo, and TeamCity.
- Experience with seamless/automated build scripts used for release management across all environments.
- Experience with automated testing tools (i.e. Selenium, JMeter).
- Deep understanding and experience with code deployment (tagging).
- Deep understanding and Implementation of Service-Oriented Architectures (SOA and REST).
- Deep software architecture and programming skills
- Strong practical Linux- and Windows-based system administration skills in cloud or virtualization environments
- Experience building sophisticated and highly automated infrastructure
- Experience with seamless/automated build scripts used for release management
- Understanding and experience with tagging
- Proven track record of delivery with Infrastructure as Code using tools such as CloudFormation / Terraform and JSON