Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Optum Labs is the research and development arm of UnitedHealth Group. We're a diverse team of curious thinkers and experts in big data, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and scientific and clinical research searching for new ways to help people live healthier lives. We partner with world leaders in health care delivery, research, and technology to create disruptive solutions that serve patients, caregivers, providers, and commercial and government payers.
More equitable, effective, and affordable health care – that's our goal. We aren't just trying to improve the care an individual receives. We're building a future where the health care system works better for everyone.
This backend role is part of a team building a next-generation data platform that reimagines how our data scientists and AI/ML engineers interact with data. You will be developing data intensive applications and scalable distributed systems using modern, open-source, cloud-native technologies.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely * from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Work as the front facing technical lead for the engineering team and work with other engineering teams to help solve business problem
- Design, implement, test, deploy and maintain innovative software solutions to transform service performance, durability, cost, and security
- Use software engineering best practices to ensure a high standard of quality for all of the team’s deliverables
- Write high quality distributed system software
- Assist with recruiting and hiring
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions
- Perform code reviews and mentor junior engineers
- Influence the technical direction for the team
- Build the team into an engineering center of excellence
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of industry experience as a Software Engineer or a Software Developer
- 5+ years of programming experience with a modern language such as Python, Rust or Java
- 3 – 5 years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability, and scaling) of new and current systems
- Solid computer science and development fundamentals, including object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, and complexity analysis
- Knowledge of professional software engineering and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build process, testing, and operations
- Experience building large-scale software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Hands-on experience in many disparate technologies including building Restful services, distributed systems, bigdata stack and cloud engineering
- Master’s degree in computer science, or equivalent profession experience
- 7+ years industry experience as a Software Engineer or a Software Developer
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
- Proficient in Python or Rust and experience contributing to open-source projects
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering duties
- Experience communicating with users, software development engineering teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Experience influencing software engineers’ best practices within your team; Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces to back-end systems and all points in between
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.