UnitedHealth Group is a company that’s on the rise. We’re expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn’t about another gadget, it’s about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life’s best work.(sm)
Optum Labs serves as United Health Group’s innovation and advanced product hub. Our team conducts cutting-edge research in the health care space and incubates data-driven digital solutions which aim to improve patients’ health outcomes, clinicians’ experience, and reduce health care costs. Our teams leverage clinical expertise, applied research and advanced data analytics technologies such as AI and Machine Learning to enhance business products and specific services.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Work as the front facing technical lead for the engineering team and work with other engineering teams to help solve business problem
- Design, implement, test, deploy and maintain innovative software solutions to transform service performance, durability, cost, and security
- Use software engineering best practices to ensure a high standard of quality for all of the team’s deliverables
- Write high quality distributed system software
- Assist with recruiting and hiring
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions
- Perform code reviews and mentor junior engineers
- Influence the technical direction for the team
- Build the team into an engineering center of excellence
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- 8+ years industry experience as a Software Engineer or a Software Developer
- 8+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java or Python
- 8+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability, and scaling) of new and current systems
- Excellent computer science and development fundamentals, including object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, and complexity analysis
- Knowledge of professional software engineering and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build process, testing, and operations
- Experience building large-scale software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Hands-on experience in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end software systems and all points in between
- Master’s in computer science, or equivalent professional experience
- 10+ years industry experience as a Software Engineer or a Software Developer
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering duties
- Experience communicating with users, software development engineering teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team; Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces to back-end systems and all points in between
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure compliance
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies now require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles require full COVID-19 vaccination as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at Optum Labs, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. Connected Communities are UnitedHealth Group’s enterprise-wide employee resource groups (ERG) and are a key component of our inclusion and diversity strategy that helps our employees be part of 8 different communities. UnitedHealth Group supports local, regional and national organizations throughout the year. We fortify the efforts of a wide range of organizations that share our commitment to inclusion and diversity, through joint development of initiatives, event and program participation, volunteerism and giving. Our culture of inclusion is reinforced within our Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe that striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you’re empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Lead Software Engineer, Lead Engineer, Software Engineer, Lead, Software, Engineer, Telecommute, Telecommuting, Telecommuter, Work From Home, Work At Home, Remote