Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that’s improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn’t about another gadget, it’s about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There’s no room for error. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.(sm)
At OptumLabs, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We accomplish this by working at the intersection of healthcare and technology, striving to create the most effective, affordable, equitable, and engaging health care solutions for patients, payers, and providers. When you bring your talents to OptumLabs – the research and development arm of UnitedHealth Group (UHG) – your contributions will change the lives of millions of people.
OptumLabs is a diverse and curious team with the highest level of expertise in engineering, cloud systems, product development, artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), scientific research, and clinical practices. We partner with global thought leaders across a range of disciplines to build disruptive solutions and innovative products that change the way healthcare is accessed and delivered. For decades, UHG has been a global leader in the healthcare industry, meaning that we have access to the most robust healthcare datasets on the planet. Today, UHG is well positioned to be the leader in applying AI and ML capabilities to solve the most complex problems in health care.
OptumLabs’ engineering team works to develop a Data, Analytics, and Machine Learning platform that unifies available data, expands UHG’s data portfolio, and provides a common infrastructure that allows AI/ML practitioners to expedite the development of AI-enabled products. We strive to ensure that data is of high quality and meets all security and compliance requirements. We develop platform capabilities that are reusable and scalable across the enterprise. These capabilities accelerate our enterprise strategy, while providing computing services that allow UHG to develop and deploy AI and ML products that impact millions of lives each day.
If you are located in Minneapolis, Minnetonka, MN, Seattle, WA, New York, NY, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* as you take on some tough challenges.
- Build and manage secure, scalable, and distributed AI/ML training and hosting platform, evaluation frameworks and visualization tools
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions
- Design, implement, test, deploy and maintain innovative software solutions to transform service performance, durability, cost, and security
- Use software engineering best practices to ensure a high standard of quality for all the team’s deliverables. Write high quality distributed system software
- Perform code review and mentor junior engineers. Work as the front facing technical lead for the engineering team and work with other engineering teams to help solve business problem
- Use software engineering best practices to ensure a high standard of quality for all of the team’s deliverables
- Write high quality distributed system software
- Assist with recruiting and hiring
- Influence the technical direction for the team
- Build the team into an engineering center of excellence
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of industry experience as a Software Engineer or a Software Developer
- 8+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java or Python
- 8+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability, and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience building large-scale software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Hands-on experience in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end software systems and all points in between
- Strong computer science and development fundamentals, including object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, and complexity analysis
- Knowledge of professional software engineering and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build process, testing, and operations
- Master’s in computer science, or equivalent profession experience
- 10+ years of industry experience as a Software Engineer or a Software Developer
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
- Experience communicating with users, software development engineering teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Experience influencing software engineers’ best practices within your team; Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces to back-end systems and all points in between
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering duties
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure compliance
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies now require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles require full COVID-19 vaccination as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here’s the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Lead Software Engineer, Telecommute, Telecommuting, Telecommuter, Work From Home, Work At Home, Remote, WAH, Minneapolis, Minnetonka, Seattle, New York, MN, Minnesota, WA, Washington