Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
As a Lead Software Engineer within the Advanced Technology Collaborative group, you will research, invent, design and build novel AI solutions, you will train Machine Learning models, and you will collaborate with other engineers that are tasked with solving some of the most difficult problems in healthcare today. Our teams are currently working with the latest engineering technologies in Natural Language Processing (NLP), Machine Learning (ML), Deep Learning (DL), and in private/public cloud. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to do your life’s best work ‘
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Research and develop novel AI solutions independently and as part of a team
- Produce high quality solutions that are robust, reliable, and scalable
- Approach highly uncertain and ambiguous environments with curiosity and a positive can-do attitude
- Utilize data from disparate data sources and formats in order to support solution features
- Collaborate effectively in cross-functional and interdisciplinary teams
- Provide technical vision and leadership to the team and the Optum community alike
- Liaise with business stakeholders
- Demonstrate initiative and solid ownership of deliverables
- Applying the scientific method to prove the value of proposed innovations
- Develop both technical as well as domain expertise to effectively realize business opportunities
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, related field or equivalent professional experience
- 4+ years of creating (data collection, training, inference, evaluation, support) and delivering original industry ML models
- 2+ years of experience in the fundamentals, practical application, and best practices of AI
- 2+ years of experience with R, Python, Scala, Java, C/C++ or other programming languages to demonstrate the results of algorithmic approaches
- 2+ years of experience software design and architecture skills with an eye towards avoiding and reducing technical debt
- 1+ years of experience with ML Ops concepts and implementations
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, AI/Machine Learning, Statistics, Optimization or related discipline
- Experience in NLP
- Experience in healthcare and/or health insurance
- Experience working on an applied research or R&D team
- Experience with modern AI/ML frameworks and tools
- Experience with public Cloud AI capabilities (GCP, Azure, AWS)
- Experience with full stack engineering technologies (e.g. React, Angular, C#, Java, Nodejs, Python, SQL, Graph)
- Experience with CI/CD, Devops, and IaC concepts and implementations
- Experience collaborating with stakeholders and solid business analysis skills
- Academic or industry experience in one or more of the following: Deep Learning (Keras/TensorFlow/PyTorch), supervised and unsupervised ML, sequential or time series modelling, Classical AI (search and planning), Speech AI, Natural Language Understanding, Image Processing, Reinforcement Learning, Bayesian Statistics, Causal Inference, Ethical AI
- Understanding of KPIs
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $97,300 to $176,900. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $97,300 to $176,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.