There is a place for you at T. Rowe Price to grow, contribute, learn, and make a difference.” We are a premier’asset’manager’focused on delivering global investment management excellence and retirement services that investors can rely on today and in the future. The work we do matters. We invite you to explore the opportunity to join us and grow your career with us.
T. Rowe Price has embraced the move to cloud architecture, and we are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join us on this venture. As a member of the Front Office Technology team, you will help engineer and develop new capabilities for our Portfolio Managers and Quantitative Analysts.
This role will foster innovation and work towards using many available data sources, and building applications to realize the business value of our data and investments. This is a unique opportunity to affect change at scale in a large and profitable company. Think mature, established, and respected company meets the agility and excitement of a financial services technology start-up.
T. Rowe Price has made a big investment into the future of our technology. We have a big vision of what we can achieve, and have ambitious plans to get there. We at T Rowe Price hold collaboration as a core tenet of how we accomplish our goals. You should be interested in a team-oriented approach; curious and enthusiastic learners will be amongst their tribe here. We are a group of diverse thinkers, all working together to with different perspectives to create optimal solutions to continue to propel T Rowe Price to great heights.
- Designs, develops, modifies, adapts and implements short- and long-term solutions to information technology needs through new and existing applications, systems, databases and applications infrastructure. Reviews and interprets system requirements and business processes. Codes, tests, debugs and implements software solutions.
- Regarded as the expert in their particular job discipline within the T. Rowe Price Business Unit
- Solves unique problems that have a broad impact on the business or organization function
- Contributes to the development of disciplinary strategy within their T. Rowe Price Business Unit; source of authoritative advice on best courses of action in area of expertise
ROLE SUMMARY AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Set firm-wide technical direction based on vision and broad knowledge
- Works across firm to enable developers to learn and adopt best practices and new technologies
- Represent the Engineering community at internal and external forums
- Stays abreast of industry trends, is active in staying knowledgeable to help the firm take advantage of new technologies
- Operates as a hands-on technologist, delivers within a team as an individual developer
- Contributes to the formulation GTS Technical strategy
- Is held accountable for realizing broader GTS Technical strategy
- Displays understanding of theoretical concepts
- Identifies non-obvious relationships and anomalies often overlooked by others
- Makes sound decisions with limited facts or resources
- Draws logical and objective conclusions from the data and validates them as the prime cause and contributing causes
- Identifies several potential solutions to a problem by identifying and evaluating the various options developed and selects the most effective solution
- Provides feedback and coaching to others who have management responsibility of resources
- Holds associates and teams accountable for adhering to practices and policies
- Capable of leading a team and/or large projects in terms of technical complexity, and/or organizational complexity
- Able to overcome differences of opinion and drive team alignment around a specific goal or solution
- Capable of leading a small team on a specific project or task
- Works with all required functions and groups to effectively plan and execute sizable projects.
- Demonstrates outstanding awareness of the complexities of the industry and business units
- Articulates broader business concerns and/or regulatory landscape, including key risks and controls (e.g., GDPR, MIFID, SOX)
- Makes decisions that are cognizant of the firm's broader business strategy
- Advanced knowledge of Asset Management, FinTech, and Investment Operations.
- 10+ years' relevant experience
- Is the ‘expert’ in a specific domain or technology within the firm and potential across the industry
- Demonstrates mastery of several styles of development (OO, Functional, etc.)
- Experience in numerous languages, frameworks, and technologies
- Deep experience in automated testing and techniques
- Conversant in several styles of architecture (e.g. real-time, batch, orchestration)
- Debugs any system, even those not written by themselves
- Designs complex database schema. Takes into account query performance and schema design
- Considers the operational aspects of a system, long term supportability, maintenance, etc. Extends the half-life of software
- Sets expectations for development practices and ensures they are known and adhered to within the area.
- Owns technical debt for large components or systems
- Capable of leading projects in one or more SDLC methodologies (e.g. Scrum), operating with efficiency and transparency
- Able to communicate highly technical content to a variety of audiences
- Experience building containerized applications and deploying to public or private clouds, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, or similar providers.
- Open source involvement such as a well-curated blog, accepted contribution, or community presence
- Experience of software development with an Asset Management, Hedge fund or Investment Bank
- A solid understanding of tradable financial instruments (securities, derivatives) and capital markets
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
We strive for equity, equality, and opportunity for all associates. When we embrace the power of diversity and create an environment where people can bring their authentic and best selves to work, our firm is stronger, and we create greater value for our clients. Our commitment and inclusive programming aim to lift the experience for each associate and builds allies for our global associate community. We know that a sense of belonging is key not only to your success at the firm, but also to your ability to bring your best each day.
T. Rowe Price is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of thought, gender, and race. We believe our continued success depends upon the equal treatment of all associates and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, creed, colour, national origin, sex, gender, age, mental or physical disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship status, military or veteran status, pregnancy, or any other classification protected by country, federal, state, or local law.
This employer is a corporate member of
myGwork – LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals,
students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.