Senior Penetration Testing Engineer
Job Function: Nuclear Surety Software Engineering
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Time Type: Full Time
What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering and computer security. The SEI works closely with academia, defense and government organizations, and industry to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software that is defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
Are you creative, curious, energetic, collaborative, technology-focused, and hard-working? Are you familiar with end-to-end software development activities and full-stack engineering? Apply to join our team.
SEI is looking for qualified Lead Nuclear Surety Software Engineer to join our team for an exciting opportunity. Key aspects of the job will include conducting nuclear surety verification and analysis to ensure software does not violate nuclear safety standards. Additionally, this job will involve collaboration with a team of engineers and scientists for methods to improve the nuclear surety activities through Agile verification processes, hardware simulation tools, and improved regression automation techniques.
- Design and execute tests to verify real time requirements of embedded software, verifying software meets requirements
- Utilize static, dynamic and complexity analysis software tools to identify areas of software where additional verification may be required
- Conduct technical nuclear surety analyses on software and FPGAs to obtain and maintain the nuclear certification and monitor for compliance with applicable Department of Defense, United States Strategic Command, and Air Force directives, manuals, and instructions
- Ensure maliciously altered software has not been inserted into the system or unknown content has been introduced
- Develop Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEAs), fault trees, signal path analyses, and technical risk assessments
- Conduct risk & vulnerability analyses required to support acquisition program development
- Analyze safety/security evaluations of software design of nuclear command & control, and communications subsystems
- Ensure design and implementation is IAW AFMAN 91-119 Safety Design Criteria for Nuclear weapon system software
- Develop, review, and coordinate Nuclear Safety Analysis Reports (NSAR), Nuclear Certification Plans (NCP), Software Certification Plans (SCP). and Certification Requirement Plans (CRP)
- Provide technical support to Nuclear Certification Manager with AFI 63-125 Nuclear Certification Program activities.
- Present technical material to Nuclear Surety Working Group and other Air Force review boards
- Provide direction on Nuclear Safety Design Certification compliance including:
- Weapon system specifications
- Weapon system architecture
- Compliance documents (DoDD, DoDIs, AFIs and AFMANs)
- Integration of data into Model Based System Engineering (MBSE) environment to produce required artifacts for Nuclear Certification IAW AFI 63-125
Requirements, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- BS with 10 years’ experience, MS with 8 years’ experience or PhD with 5 years’ experience in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field, with professional experience as a software developer or engineer, verification engineer in a collaborative team environment.
- Flexible to travel to other SEI offices, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion. Moderate (25%) travel outside of your home location.
- You will be subject to a background investigation and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- At least 80% of your weekly effort will be onsite in either an SEI or customer facility
- Experience with software safety analysis for use in nuclear operations
- Experience with DoD, AF Nuclear Surety policy & processes or equivalent NNSA nuclear safety policy & processes
- Understanding of the DoD Systems Engineering lifecycle
- Knowledge related to application of nuclear safety and nuclear security techniques
- Experience with Air Force nuclear weapon systems
- Knowledge and understanding of AFMAN 91-118 and AFMAN 91-119 and Safety Evaluation/Design Criteria for Nuclear weapon systems and system software
- Knowledge and understanding of AFI 63-125, Nuclear Certification Program
- Proficiency in the C, C++ or Ada software development languages
- Experience with developing or analyzing embedded software built using modern Real Time Operating Systems.
- Experience with developing embedded software tests, performance instrumentation and interpreting the results
- Experience with one or more of the following: static analysis tools, dynamic testing tools, complexity analysis tools
- tinued knowledge and learning