As a Lead Data Engineer at Methods you will be expected to get involved with projects from conception to delivery – leading and supervising other engineers to meet requirements and deliver quality software solutions. On a day-to-day basis, you will own best practice for data management and data engineering – providing support to other members of the team and raising awareness across the organisation for data issues and solutions.
When contributing towards projects, you’ll make effective long-term design solutions and take an active part in sprint reviews and other agile processes. You’ll often perform code reviews and provide constructive feedback to other developers.
Often, you will be called upon to shape and review bids as required based on your expertise.
In your downtime or in preparation to get involved in new and exciting opportunities, you’ll be able to use paid personal development time to keep up to date on the latest trends and technologies.
You will also have line management responsibilities for up to four data engineers and be involved in the recruitment process, including taking on junior developers as mentees.
- Deliver high quality software through the agile process, championing best practice and taking a pragmatic view on the pros and cons of such processes, adapting where needed.
- Communicate with a range of stakeholders, be they technical, non-technical, junior or very senior and be able to explain a range of technical issues to them.
- Be part of the architectural design and implementation of ETL pipelines and data solutions.
- Be a point of knowledge across the organisation in data engineering.
- Line management of up to four data engineers
- Participate in community events such as Hackathons.
- Experience working with Amazon Web Services data engineering tools
- A fluency and development experience in at least one of the following: Java, Python, C++ or Scala.
- Experience working with a variety of data formats such as JSON, XML, Apache Avro, Protobuf or Apache Thrift.
- Experience with data storage solutions such as traditional database solutions (i.e MySQL, SQLite, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL data solutions such as MongoDB, CouchDB or RavenDB.
- Experience with distributed storage, processing engines such as Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, Apache Flink or Google BigQuery.
- Experience with message brokering/stream processing services such as Apache Kafka, RabbitMQ, Confluent or Google Cloud Pub/Sub.
- Experience in Test Driven Development (TDD) and Behaviour Driven Development (BDD)
- Experience in developing, testing and documenting reliable, scalable and secure APIs.
- Experience in Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD).
- Knowledge of standard software security principles.
- Openness to new technologies and willingness to keep learning.
- Experience of working in an agile environment.
- Good communication and problem solving skills.
- Willingness to travel as required.
- Experience working in other cloud computing platform such as Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud Platform.
- Understanding of Graph Database technologies including SPARQL/RDF.
- Experience with or developed understanding of the application of ETL tools.
This role will require you to have or be willing to go through Security Clearance. As part of the onboarding process candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard; details of the evidence required to apply may be found on the government website Gov.UK. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed, or rejected . Details of this will be discussed with you at interview
Methods is passionate about its people; we want our colleagues to develop the things they are good at and enjoy.
By joining us you can expect
- Autonomy to develop and grow your skills and experience
- Be part of exciting project work that is making a difference in society
- Strong, inspiring and thought-provoking leadership
- A supportive and collaborative environment
As well as this, we offer:
Development access to LinkedIn Learning, a management development programme and training
Wellness 24/7 Confidential employee assistance programme
Social – office parties, pizza Friday and commitment to charitable causes
Time off 25 days a year
Pension Salary Exchange Scheme with 4% employer contribution and 5% employee contribution
Discretionary Company Bonus based on company and individual performance
Life Assurance of 4 times base salary
Private Medical Insurance which is non-contributory (spouse and dependants included)
Worldwide Travel Insurance which is non-contributory (spouse and dependants included)
Benefits Platform offering various retail and leisure discounts
- ID: 12FB4C333D
- Department: Technical Delivery & software Engineering
- Type: full time