Were making zero carbon happen
Were OVO Group, a big family of companies united by a single vision: to get to zero carbon, fast.
We call this Plan Zero and it shows how well be fighting the climate crisis and transforming the way people use energy over the next decade. To do this, we need the sharpest minds. Are you up for the challenge?
Do great green things with OVO Energy
So much has changed since we launched in 2009. Our goal remains the same though: make energy cheaper, greener, and simpler. Just as it was on day one.
Everyone belongs at OVO
Our aim is to build a diverse and inclusive movement: teams of brilliant people, with unique talents, skills, passions, and experiences.
We encourage everyone to join us, whatever your gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, life experience, or background. So please come as you are we cant wait to meet you.
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
Youll be leading OVOs Data Engineering Team, which will act as a Centre of Excellence for data engineering across OVO, providing strategy, advice and guidance, reusable approaches, patterns and assets, and tool recommendations. The team will create and facilitate a Data Engineering community to support data engineers working in product and business teams as they build data pipelines and transform data for new products and for analytics and reporting.
What will I be doing?
The Data Engineering Team sits within the OVO Data Platforms squad, which is part of the OVO Platforms area. We trust our development teams to choose their tech stacks, so youll commonly encounter Scala, Python, Kafka, GraphQL, Datadog, Docker, Kubernetes, BigQuery and SQL. We run our services primarily in GCP.
Key responsibilities include:
- Leading a team responsible for setting a strategy for data engineering across OVO and developing guidelines for how we work across our streaming and data warehouse technologies.
- Building a data engineering community with engineers working in product teams, providing advice and guidance, tool recommendations etc.
- Building and maintaining integration pipelines that power our automated journeys.
- Transforming streaming data to meet target schemas.
- Leading an agile engineering team where you will have the opportunity to influence technology selection.
- Establishing good data engineering practices including using infrastructure as code; contributing to automated testing strategies; setting up monitoring and alerting tools; employing CI/CD best practices to deploy regularly to production.
- Participating/leading efforts in the Open Source community, speaking at conferences, contributing to OVOs tech blog, etc.
- Engaging and encouraging engagement in the wider community through conference participation and contributing to our Tech Blog.
- Mentoring junior members of the team – particularly interns and industry placements.
- Working with key stakeholders to understand their data needs and help deliver solutions that provide them with excellent quality data that allows teams to realise their objectives.
Is this the job for me?
Ideally you will have:
- In-depth experience of designing, building, monitoring and managing large-scale data products, pipelines, tooling and platforms.
- A track record as a data engineering lead, setting strategy and defining ways of working.
- Experience working on streaming ETL solutions utilising streaming data processing tools (e.g. Kafka Streams, Kinesis, Spark or similar).
- Experience developing cloud-based solutions on GCP (preferably), AWS or Azure using Infrastructure as code tools such as Terraform.
- Excellent knowledge of at least one programming language e.g. Scala, Python, Typescript
- Knowledge of the best engineering practices and continuous delivery.
- An understanding that building quality software is essential and you value automation and continuous delivery.
- A love for building scalable, resilient solutions, and you enjoy influencing the teams technology selection and architectural direction.
- You will be comfortable working in an agile software development environment and have experience of CI/CD and deployment strategies
Brilliant benefits for a world-changing team
Our people are at the heart of Plan Zero. Thats why we offer plenty of green benefits and progressive policies to make you feel at home.
For starters, youll get 34 days of holiday (including bank holidays).
Then theres Flex Pay. Its an extra 9% of your salary on top of your core pay to use as you like. You can take it as cash, add to your pension, or choose to spend it on a huge range of flex benefits.
Heres a taster of whats on offer:
For your health
With benefits like a healthcare cash plan or private medical insurance depending on your career level, critical illness cover, life assurance, health assessments, and more
For your wellbeing
With gym membership, gadget, travel and cyber insurance, workplace ISA, will writing services, DNA testing, dental insurance, and more
For your lifestyle
With extra holiday buying, discount dining, culture cards, tech loans, and supporting your favourite charities with give-as-you-earn donations
For your home
Get up to 300 off any OVO Energy plan (when you pay by Direct Debit), plus personal carbon offsetting and great discounts on smart thermostats and EV chargers
For your commute
Nab a great deal on ultra-low emission car leasing, plus our cycle to work scheme and public transport season ticket loans
Want to hear about our full range of flexible benefits and progressive people policies? Our People Team can tell you everything you need to know.
Oh, and one last thing…
Wed be thrilled if you tick off all our boxes yet we also believe its just as important we tick off all of yours. And if you think you have most of what were looking for but not every single thing, go ahead and hit apply. Wed still love to hear from you!