Java Developer// Outside// Remote
£475 per day. Outside IR35.
An experienced developer with solid commercial experience of building web applications and REST APIs using Spring Boot in an OpenShift environment is required to accelerate the delivery of new and improved digital services to the organisations customers.
Main outcomes & objectives
Further development and support of existing customer facing services.
Development and support of a self-serve Copy Deeds service.
Development and support of an internal user administration service.
Continued enhancement of the ScotLIS business and public platforms based on ongoing customer feedback.
Continued development and support of Customer Facing products in line with the product and architecture roadmaps
Demonstrate excellent, sustainable, and collaborative software development practice that is focused on delivering highly readable, maintainable, and appropriate artefacts.
Actively participating in all team events, leading where specialist knowledge is required, and supporting the team to improve their process through inspection and adaptation.
Engage with the wider communities of practice and interest to share knowledge, technique, and experience.
Ensure high quality of developed solutions through development and maintenance of unit tests – with appropriate code coverage – and code analysis using code quality tools.
Ensure that developed software complies with non-functional requirements, such as accessibility, security, UI/UX, performance, maintainability, deployability, etc.
Troubleshoot development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms, from the AWS-based modern stack to the multiple strands of ETL and database (legacy and otherwise) that underpins the service.
Routinely use collaborative development practices such as pairing and mobbing techniques in programming, code reviews, system design and requirements analysis/refinement, etc.
Coaching and mentoring other team members, as appropriate.
Essential skills & experience
Significant commercial experience with the following technology:
• Java 8+
• Spring Boot microservices
• Spring security and OAuth2
• PostgreSQL with PostGIS
• Modern DevOps and CI/CD practices including deployment pipelines, Jenkins, and Docker
Significant and demonstrable commercial experience in the following areas:
• Delivering high quality software collaboratively in high-performing, cross-functional development teams.
• Designing, gaining consensus, and implementing technical solutions for software development projects
• Developing and deploying spatial data infrastructure, specifically Geoserver, PostGIS and OpenLayers
• Developing within Digital First or GDS quality standards
• Developing solutions using human-centred, research-driven, inclusive design practices
• Designing and implementing solutions using service and event-based architectures
• Using testing tools for unit testing, including system test automation frameworks
• Cloud monitoring, telemetry, intelligence tools and processes, including Grafana
• Incrementally replacing enterprise legacy systems
• Working in Agile delivery models
• Defining infrastructure as code
• Using UI pattern libraries to achieve consistent, tested, and high-quality interfaces
• Code quality, monitoring, telemetry, and analytics tools
• Designing and developing with relational and NoSQL databases, particularly Mongo and Postgres
Desirable skills & experience
• AWS Lambda, S3, Cloud Formation, Aurora/Postgres, API Gateway, CDK (Cloud Development Kit)
• Python 2.7/3.x