NLA Media Access represents the intellectual property rights of over 5,000 newspaper, magazine titles and websites from around 275 publishers, and provides data, search, and content feed services to media monitoring agencies and publishers with a database of over 70 million articles.
We are looking for a Head of Engineering to lead our platform engineering department and build tools, processes, and software that leads directly to customer satisfaction. You'll be responsible for modernising the entire infrastructure; building new components and upgrading or enhancing existing ones, whilst maintaining the existing infrastructure and ensuring all internal systems operate securely and effectively. To do this you'll use tools and technologies such as Azure, GCP, Powershell, Python, and Terraform.
This is a UK-based role. You must be eligible to work in the UK, and be based in the UK to apply.
To be successful in this role, you should be confident managing a team remotely while, at the same time, setting goals and timelines for various initiatives and ensuring operational cost effectiveness. Working closely with our operations and service delivery team, you will take ownership of development and support resources provided by our key partners such as CTS and Claranet. As a leader, you will be people focused and respectful, and able to practice servant leadership. You will be driven, with a positive attitude, be curious with a desire to learn, have an ability to be pragmatic, and be able to instill these behaviours in others.
The role reports into the Chief Digital Officer and is part of the technology & digital team. The team is was previously London-based but is now permanently working fully remote, allowing you to work from anywhere within the UK. Alternatively you can work flexibly at our bright and spacious head quarters in Royal Tunbridge Wells with onsite parking available and only a 5 minute walk from the station.
- Line manage, coach and mentor NLA Engineers, focusing on their engagement, retention, growth and career development, while promoting a culture of innovation, teamwork, excellence and self-improvement
- Provide leadership in security, quality and automation – in particular self-healing and auto-remediation – into our standard engineering processes.
- Reduce operational risk by establishing best practices, education and delivery of modern observability capabilities and KPI-driven alerting using log, metrics and tracing technologies
- Own QA and testing methods, systems and environments, ensuring platform features fail gracefully when services are degraded
- Ensure consistent rapid and well communicated incident response on a 24×7 basis, and the means to quickly recover a degraded service as well as future incident prevention
- Ensure the technical roadmap maintains clear milestones and dependencies, and work with your team, external resources and other dependencies to align on delivery against those milestones
- Agree & monitor service level metrics and manage relationships with 3rd parties to ensure quality standards are met and maintained
- Partner with commercial and operations teams to ensure effective communication with regard to service reliability, performance and superior customer experience
- Demonstrate the ability to lead and deliver results through others, with a strong track record of leading both internal and external devops / platform / systems engineers, database administrators, or software developers with a combination of onshore / offshore / nearshore and remote working to deliver exceptional results.
- Proven understanding of Site Reliability Engineering as an engineering discipline with a focus on automation, and the ability to foster a devops culture within a team
- Demonstrate an in-depth experience of managing enterprise cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP or Azure) through CI/CD solutions, automation and configuration management, infrastructure as code, microservices, containers, orchestration, and systems operations using Terraform, Ansible, Jenkins, Git, CloudFormation, Azure Devops, and other modern tools.
- Demonstrate prior hands-on systems engineering, database administration, software development, or architecture experience based on a variety of common technology stacks (Microsoft, LAMP, MEAN etc).
- Extensive experience with monitoring tools like Datadog, AppDynamics, Splunk, ELK, New Relic, SolarWinds, CloudWatch, Azure Analytics, Stackdriver or PagerDuty.
- Demonstrate excellent communication, analytical and problem-solving skills, particularly with complex distributed systems
This role is fully remote, but you will need to be based in the UK and you must be eligible to work in the UK. Occasional travel and work at our headquarters in Tunbridge Wells, in London, or other locations in the UK or overseas, may be required, for example to meet and collaborate with external teams.
- Private Healthcare Plan
- Pension Plan
- Life Assurance
- Work From Home
- Training & Development
- Employee Assistance Programme