Applications accepted from: All Persons Interested
Location: 2100 Travis, Houston, TX 77002
Hours: M F, 8 am 5 pm*
*Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The City of Houston's Housing and Community Development Department (HCDD) seeks to create a city in which every resident has an affordable home in a community where they can thrive. Partnering with non-profit, governmental, and local entities, HCDD strives to strengthen Houston's neighborhoods, provide true housing choice and execute the Mayor's vision for One Houston with complete communities throughout. Since Hurricane Harvey, HCDD is managing more than one billion dollars dedicated to helping low and moderate-income families recover.
To achieve this vision, HCDD is seeking a Financial Analyst IV (Data Analyst) who has experience and passion for data analytics and reporting to join its financial reporting team. In this position, you will support the team in managing technological solutions for the management and reporting of one or more grants, including Federal, State and/or Local funding sources. The ideal candidate must be able to leverage Finance and Technology skills to drive innovative discussions geared around process improvement and transparency.
- Responsible for maintaining the data integrity over forward-facing reports and dashboards.
- Works with the financial reporting team to organize, develop data sources, models, and repositories to support analytical needs.
- Collaborates closely with the financial reporting team to deliver intelligent and pragmatic reporting solutions.
- Introduces new and innovative ideas to develop data warehouses, data collection systems, data analytics that will streamline and improve the current reporting processes.
- Performs hands-on development work using tools and systems such as Power BI and databases.
- Assists with developing dashboards, reports, and data models for Power BI, with a focus on end user adoption and usability.
- Accountable for all data maps that drives reporting efforts over SAP and all other disparate data sources.
- Designs data models either in Excel, Access, Power BI, or Power Platform for optimal ETL processes to support reporting that is accurate, timely and presentable.
- Manipulates large data sets from several disconnected sources with great attention to detail and critical thinking skills
- Proactively investigates data discrepancies and proposes corrective measures
- Perform other duties as required
- Technology: Power BI or similar, advanced Excel and ETL skills to prepare data models and visualization solutions.
- Critical Thinking: Job requires a high level of problem solving and attention to detail.
- Team Player: An enthusiastic and collaborative team member that remains accountable and positive while working with tight deadlines.
This is a grant funded position subject to cancellation when funds are depleted and/or contract period ends.
This position is physically comfortable. There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a closely related field.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Six years of professional experience in finance, economics, budget analysis or a closely related field are required.
- Experience cannot be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement.
- A Master's degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a closely related field may be substituted for two years of the above experience requirement
MINIMUM LICENSE REQUIREMENTSNonePREFERENCES
- Strong knowledge of business intelligence tools: Power BI or similar, databases, SQL to support data analysis
- Strong knowledge in data modeling techniques that can be leveraged in Power BI or similar
- Strong visualization skills focusing on user experience
- Advanced analytical skills
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
Department may administer skills assessment test.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION No
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Salary Range Pay Grade 25
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call 832.394.6200.
If you need special services or accommodations, call 832.394.6200. (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EOE Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.