The hired individual will sit in the intersection between the ESG research, technology teams and Data Science benefitting from the knowledge and guidance of these teams.
As a Data Science Analyst at Man, you will use your specific and general skills to support the quantitative research and portfolio management teams and contribute to high quality alpha trading models.
The Data Science analyst team is part of Man Data Science and focus on acquiring, cleaning, and analysing data sets for alpha generation. The team work closely with Man’s investment teams including our research and portfolio managers, to generate new insights from data and lead enhancements in our data science platform that enables data-driven decision making. The team focus on evaluating data and coming up with new ideas to investigate and provide recommendations and investment ideas driven by data. Collectively, our analysts strive to contribute towards building scalable data science capabilities, including performing data analytics and optimising Man’s investment data platform
We have varied backgrounds across the industry including Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering and Finance. The core value which unifies us is a passion to utilise science, technology and data to enhance our investment process.
- Introduce, assess, and evaluate new ESG datasets (broad and alternative data)
- Partner with our ESG investment research, Technology, and other key stakeholders to provide insight on the data we have access to, methodologies, limitations, rationale for selection, and appropriate use cases.
- Work in close collaboration with our ESG domain experts as well as our technology team to productionise our ESG data capabilities.
- Implement quantitative methods for creating an evidence-based view of a security's ESG alignment
- Contribute to the development of tools and reports to ensure actionable ESG data is available to investment professionals across the firm
- Collaborate with data sourcing and commercial management, compliance, data science engineers, research, portfolio management, operations and technology to understand investment needs and manage the on-boarding process of new diverse data sets for Man.
- Support the analytical needs of investment teams inclusive of cleansing, mapping, statistical inferences, feature engineering and the bespoke data visualisation methods required by each project.
- Curate and present relevant research and technical documentation to build and maintain an updated, accurate and accessible knowledge store.
- Ensure that vendors are actively engaged with Man’s requirements and provide a continuous feedback loop between Man’s investment units and vendors.
- Contribute to initiatives across the Man Data Science group to expand and improve the firm’s data ecosystem.
- Conduct industry research to identify new initiatives in financial markets, market data and alternative data.
- Passion for, and interest in ESG related issues and trends
- Experience working with difficult or sparse datasets, including evidence of aggregating key performance indicators for both tracking, measuring and reporting
- Strong academic record and higher education degree with high mathematical and computing content e.g. computer science, mathematics, physics, statistics or another disciplines involving technical and quantitative analysis techniques.
- Proven experience and fluency with data analysis techniques in Python & SQL preferred
- Exposure to sustainability and ESG datasets and reporting
- Previous experience with reporting and visualisation, preferably using python, and creating technical solutions for operation and data related tasks/processes.
- Demonstrate evidence of strong analytical and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Financial industry experience preferred.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Self-organised with the ability to effectively manage time across multiple projects and with competing business demands and priorities.
Man Data Science has a start-up, no-attitude feel. It is flat structured, open, transparent, and collaborative, and you will have plenty of opportunity to grow and have enormous impact on what we do. We are actively engaged with the broader data and technology community.
We’re fortunate enough to have a fantastic open-plan office, and continually strive to make our environment a great place in which to work.
We organise regular social events, everything from photography through climbing, karting, wine tasting and monthly team lunches
We have annual away days and off-sites for the whole team
As well as PCs and Macs, in our office you’ll also find numerous pieces of cool tech such as light cubes and 3D printers, guitars, ping-pong and table-football, and a piano.
We host and sponsor London’s PyData and Machine Learning Meetups
We open-source some of our technology. See github.com/man-group