Our client works within water utilities, providing network monitoring equipment, a cloud-based data platform and expert advisory and management services.
We are looking for an experienced embedded software engineer to strengthen our client’s software development team as its range of products and activities increases. Combining technical proficiency with energy, enthusiasm, and a professional approach to software development, the successful candidate will have a key role in the architecture and direction of the company’s software roadmap.
- Writing firmware for monitoring instruments.
- Mentoring less experienced members of the Software team to ensure professional standards in code writing, documentation, and usability.
- Liaise with the business development parts of the business to ensure sales and support staff fully understand the company’s software products, their features and functions.
- Assist customer support, workshop and field technicians with software related issues and queries.
- Extending, maintaining, and debugging existing software
Technical Skills: Essential requirements
- 3+ years experience in C for embedded systems
- Experience with FreeRTOS or other real time operating system
- Ability to write robust software that can run unattended for years
- Debugging, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
- Version control (Git)
- Knowledge of test-driven development in embedded systems
- Ability to use an oscilloscope, read a schematic, and debug embedded systems
Technical Skills: Nice to have
- Python experience (including numpy, scipy)
- Experience using and developing code for Linux (or other Unix) systems
- Rust experience
- Java experience
- Building and deploying software in cloud environments (AWS, Google Cloud, etc)
- Experience with database scaling and optimisation (high availability/replication)
- Python development for numerical or scientific code
- Version control (particularly Git)
- Experience of working within an agile development environment
- Use of Trello for task management
As well as the above, you will need to be self-motivated, positive, organised, and confident. We need someone who is equally capable of working as part of a team effort or an a single-person project. You will need to be a positive contributor to scrum sessions and have the ability to adapt and work effectively on a variety of tasks at once.
This role is a great opportunity to join a successful, expanding business. The role is office-based with some opportunity for home working. You will need a DVLC and your own method of transport. Salary 40-50k per annum, dependent on experience.