Surrey/London based with hybrid working – 2-3 days per week from home
Up to £70k + bonus + benefits
This is an excellent opportunity to join a well-established and category leading manufacturer of specialist small domestic electro-mechanical and electronic devices. This category is growing at over 25% per annum! They have a great reputation and global distribution channels via Amazon and other specialist retailers. They have traded successfully through the Covid-19 lockdown. Indeed they've experienced record months recently and have brought forward investment in a number of areas within their business: IoT enabling technology, rebranding and a new website.
They are embarking on a period of exciting growth under a new leadership team and ownership with investments being made into the business to facilitate such growth. The business has a successful history with a good track record of profitability, is highly cash generative and has a long serving employee base.
There are several key strategies which will enable them to grow:
1.Enhance existing products – via incremental value-added enhancements requiring engineering changes and changes in the bill of materials – quite simple but can add a lot of value.
2.New Product Introduction: 1. New mechanical products & 2. IoT/app controlled/web enabled products – so instead of having a product mounted electronic control and display the products will link via wifi to an app on the users smartphone – allowing remote control wherever the user may be
3.Raise the bar in terms of how the business operates – historically it’s been quite traditional, centralised around the previous MD and paper based. The new MD wants to engage with and empower the workforce, getting them to think for themselves, coming forward with new ideas and at the same working smarter via better utilisation of technology and world class manufacturing and engineering systems and standards
Having recently recruited a new Head of Design & Innovation they are now looking to further strengthen the team and recruit an Electronics and Embedded Software Engineer.
Naturally we're looking for people with experience in a similar role in a similar environment.
KEY SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
- Degree educated or equivalent in Electronics/Firmware Engineering, or related discipline with at least 5 years’ experience working in a Design / Engineering consultancy or consumer electronics industry
- Passionate about solving real problems in meaningful and original ways
- Ability to communicate ideas and concept propositions with multidisciplinary development teams
- Comprehensive understanding of electronics hardware and its interface with software systems
- IoT and smart home experience – creating consumer-centred solutions connecting digital smartphone applications with robust and secure product experiences through cloud connectivity and integration
- Real-time embedded C/C++ programming experience; Java and Python advantageous
- Good understanding of analogue/digital, comm’s circuit designs, RF knowledge advantageous
- System/block design and schematic capture
- A good working knowledge of embedded development with wireless protocols; Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Experience of embedded debugging techniques and tools for software verification strategies
- Numerate with strong mathematical skills
- Proven ability to manage external development partners to deliver projects on time and to budget Hands-on practical ability with electronics hardware and prototyping, including good soldering skills
- Robust scoping techniques to develop and audit new and emerging technologies
- Data-driven approach to continuous design and engineering improvement
- Technically creative with exceptional fault-finding skills
- Self-motivated and robust attention to detail
- Cloud based integration of IoT solutions, specifically AWS experience
- Modern software development methodologies such as Agile and Test-Driven Development
- Experience taking NPD through to full compliance testing; EMC, RED, Safety and Radio approvals
- Development and application with sensing technologies; active and passive, analogue and digital
- Experience of transferring products into manufacture in China and Europe
- Mechanical hardware design, including CAD ability
- Basic understanding of Machine Learning
This is a medium sized and fast-growing business. There is not a huge corporate structure or team. Potential candidates should be comfortable with such an environment and ideally have experience of helping a business grow and improve, implementing new processes to support such.
Reasons to join:
· The business has a successful history with exciting plans for further growth combined with significant investment being applied across the business: facilities, people, products and brand!
· Operating in high growth product categories with the introduction of new technologies
· A new culture of being innovative and proactive – with people empowered and encouraged to contribute and challenge
· Freedom and autonomy, no micro-management here
· Security of a successful, profitable, cash-rich business
· Highly successful new MD & Head of Design & Innovation who have worked in world class, industry leading engineering and manufacturing businesses
They are based in the South East, on the South West outskirts of London, so naturally prospective candidates would ideally live within a commutable distance. There is flexibility over start & finish times and home working (2-3 days per week).
To apply send your CV to Nick Hardy via [email protected]
Wilson Brook is an independent boutique retained executive search consultancy that I founded in December 2018. I began my career in recruitment career in 2000, not long after graduation. I’ve been in Executive Search since 2001. We recruit across several industry sectors and a variety of functions, from senior management to operating & main board, working with SME’s to PLC’s, including businesses with venture capital & private equity backing. We recruit on assignments throughout the UK and internationally. We are passionate about delivering an exceptional service to our customers – which we consider to be both individuals and companies.