As the industry leader in compensation management, Payscale is on a mission to help job seekers, employees and businesses get pay right, and make sustainable fair pay a reality. Empowering more than 53 percent of the Fortune 500 in 198 countries, Payscale provides a combination of data-driven insights, best-in-class services and innovative software to enable organizations such as Angel City Football Club, Perry Ellis International, United Healthcare, Vista and The Washington Post to make fair and appropriate pay decisions. Pay is powerful. To learn more, visit www.payscale.com
What We Do: The Data Science Team focuses on building models that leverage Payscales five core compensation datasets to provide accurate, high coverage estimates of compensation ranges for jobs across industries and the globe. We use modeling techniques such as Bayesian linear regression, hierarchical modeling, transfer learning, NLP, and embeddings to model how different jobs are related to each other in order to produce good compensation range predictions. We do a mix of development on well-defined projects and greenfield innovation on our own ideas. We build internal tools (APIs and interactive demos (using e.g. streamlit)) to exhibit our work. We value teamwork, learning together, maintainability, documentation, and giving clear presentations about our work to non-ML stakeholders. We are generalist problem solverswe use (or learn!) the best tool for the problem. Our team is remote with some team members working out of offices in Seattle, WA and Burlington, MA periodically.
Our team works closely with compensation domain experts to help define the problems, identify and validate our assumptions, and evaluate our predictions. We are supported by a separate Data Engineering Team that helps turn our models into production APIs for use in products across Payscales portfolio.
What You Do: You will be designing and building machine learning models that provide compensation estimates in low-data scenarios, allow us to quantitatively compare jobs to each other (embeddings, NLP), and quantify the impact that skills and other compensable factors have on pay across jobs, industries, and locations. Youll interface with domain experts and software engineers on a regular basis. Youll give periodic presentations about your models/findings to a technical, but not-ML-trained audience. Our codebase is in Python, with some Pytorch and Tensorflow.
As a Data Scientist II, a typical day may include the following:
- Designing and building a new model
- Meeting with domain experts to get feedback on models
- Documenting findings, identifying promising avenues for model improvement
- Partnering with Data Engineering Team to drive productionization of models
- Participating in Data Science Book Club (bi-weekly open-invite learning workshop, currently focused on state-of-the-art NLP techniques)
- Mentoring Data Analysts on analysis and visualization techniques (e.g. stats, regression)
- Participating in team code reviews
First Year In Role
By your third month, youll know how to access our datasets and code. Youll be able to run the models that we are currently developing, and youll be contributing code to support these modelse.g. a new component for the evaluation suite, an internal head-to-head comparison of model results, or the application of one of our models to a particular domain.
By your sixth month, you have completely ramped up on the team and youll own your own workstream: meeting with stakeholders, designing and scoping solutions, building, and presenting your findings and progress.
- Quantitative graduate degree OR 3+ years building real-world machine learning models
- Fluency in Python object-oriented programming, pandas, scikit learn
- Proficiency in basic SQL (joins, grouping, ordering, views)
- Experience using multiple supervised and unsupervised learning techniques with ability to compare approaches and results
- Exposure to 1 or more deep learning frameworks (TensorFlow, PyTorch)
- Able to clearly articulate technical concepts to developers, managers, and less technical colleagues
- Experience building interactive demos and prototypes is a plus
- Experience writing production-grade code for model training/retraining and inference is a huge plus
- We code everyday using Python (scikit learn, spaCy, Keras, Pytorch), and sometimes R, Scala, Julia.
- For accessing our data we use Snowflake and SQL Server
- For reporting and supporting Data Analysts, we use Tableau.
- We productionize with Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Azure, Team City, and Octopus.
Benefits and Perks The Highlights:
All Around Awesome Culture Where Together We Strive To
- Pursue excellence every day
- Create customer value
- Compete to win (and lose!) as a team
As part of our culture of transparency and commitment to employee engagement, we have several programs and resources such as:
- Regular virtual company meetings
- Coffee chats
- Table for 4 Executive conversation
- Spirit Week
- Pulsing tools for continuous conversations to drive performance and career growth
- Strengths based tools designed to help employees engage with peers and managers, supported through a program called StandOut
- Access to top notch learning courses for all employees through LinkedIn Learning
- As well as constant re-evaluation of what our employees need to be successful at work!
Our More Standard Benefits Include
- Discretionary Paid Time Off Giving employees the flexibility they need to rest, relax and recharge away from work
- 15 paid holidays including Independence Week, Juneteenth and World Mental Health Day
- 3 comprehensive health plans to fit your unique needs; plans have up to 100% company-paid premium coverage for employee Medical, Dental and Vision
- Access to Premeras Healthcare Services including an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), 24-hour Nurse Hotline, Telehealth (Doctor on Demand), Talkspace, and other virtual care options
- FSA and HSA options for pre-tax employee allocations towards: Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, and Transit
- Company Paid Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, and Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Paid Parental / Adoption Leave program
- 401k program with fully vested, immediate company match
- Voted Seattles and Bostons best places to work according to Built In 2022.
- Voted one of Seattles companies with the best benefits according to Built In 2022.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We embrace equal employment opportunity.
PayScale is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. It is our policy that employees will not be subjected to unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual orientation, political ideology and any other basis protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to: recruitment, hiring, transfers, promotions, training, discipline, termination, compensation and benefits, performance appraisals, education, and social and recreational programs.