Are you a highly motivated individual seeking to make a difference in the public health sector? Are you a Statistician, Data Scientist or similar with a passion for the NHS? If so, then this role may be the one for you.
The NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) creates a wealth of valuable data from the 36 billion of NHS activity that it administers. We use the rich breadth and depth of data to support national and local decision makers to maximise health outcomes, improve patient safety and deliver best value.
As a Data Scientist you will work at the heart of the NHSBSA, playing an integral role in delivering new insight from data through innovation, experimentation, and collaboration. You will use statistical and data science techniques and software such as R, Oracle, and Python to deliver innovative data products and services and tell compelling stories with data. Working as part of a highly motivated and committed Data Science team. You can check out some of our existing open-source code on our public facingGitHubto get a taste of what we do.
What do we offer?
- 27 days leave (increasing with length of service) plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours)
- Flexi time
- Hybrid working model (we are currently working largely remotely)
- Career development
- Active wellbeing and inclusion networks
- Excellent pension
- NHS Car lease scheme
- Access to a wide range of benefits and high street discounts!
Main duties of the job
What we're looking fo
You'll have a strong understanding and practical experience of:
- Applying data science and advanced analytics techniques to answer business questions
- Using statistical programming and data visualisation software
- Using version control such as GitHub or GitLab
- Storytelling and explaining complex and contentious subject matter.
- Understanding requirements and checking back with sponsors that progress is on the right track
- Sharing and promoting best practice and providing data science and analytical expertise across the business
If this sounds like the type of challenge which excites you, then we want to hear from you.
The post is currently remote working. However, when it is safe to do so, you would be based at Newcastle upon Tyne or one of our other offices, with optional remote working.
Due to the sensitive nature of some of the data that we handle, the successful candidate must be willing to undergo security clearance.
At the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) we deliver a range of essential national services to NHS organisations and contractors, patients and the public.
You may already be using some of our services. Do you have a prescription pre-payment certificate? Perhaps you found this vacancy through NHS Jobs? We're behind these, and much more.
Being one of the UK's Best Big Companies to work for, our values are to be Collaborative, Adventurous, Reliable and Energetic. We CARE about what we do and support each other in achieving our objectives.
Our people are the heart of our organisation. We strive to ensure they feel trusted, valued and empowered. We're passionate about nurturing and developing people. When you join us, we want you to grow, and we offer many opportunities for you to do that.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. With wellbeing and inclusion central to our ethos, our BAME, Disability and Neurodiversity, LGBTQ+, Armed Forces and Women's networks help our colleagues to be their authentic selves at work.
At the NHSBSA we value and respect the diversity of our colleagues and are committed to being a flexible employer. We are proud to offer flexible working opportunities. Whether you're interested in hybrid working, working from home, flexible hours or job sharing, apply today and we can discuss available options with you at the interview stage.
We are the NHS delivering for the NHS