We are looking to appoint an experienced Data Science Engineer (Time Series Forecasting) to help develop and improve our soft-fruit forecasting algorithms and improve our AI based crop scanning methods. The ideal candidate's favorite words are learning, data, scale, and agility. You will leverage your strong collaboration skills and ability to extract valuable insights from highly complex data sets to ask the right questions and find the right answers. This role will lead in creating tailor made solutions transforming high-value unstructured data into structured soft-fruit forecasts and estimation of vision based phenological traits (maturity, weight, size, volume etc.). It will be important to learn how our existing infrastructure and technologies currently operate. You’ll also need a full manual driving licence that permits you to drive within the UK and access to a vehicle.
FruitCast is looking for motivated forward thinking individuals to join the industry of the future; bringing transformative technology into the oldest industry in the world. We are a new agri-tech startup offering farm digitisation and yield forecasting as-a-service. Commercial soft-fruit is sold to retailers at a certain price based on a farm's yield prediction. As essential as this estimate is to get right in the industry it is historically inaccurate and unreliable.
FruitCast is building a unique AI-enabled data analytics platform to provide unprecedented accuracy to fruit growers. Using our platform, operational teams can better plan on farm labour, scheduling and supply chain resources. Greater control over yield data delivers better economic outcomes and shifts buying power from retailers towards the grower.
FruitCast is a high profile spin-out of Cambridge Enterprise and the University of Lincoln, home to the world's first Global Centre for Excellence in Agricultural Robotics. Forecasting is listed as the number one current priority in numerous innovation strategies and we’re looking for hard working, motivated individuals with a can-do mindset to join our great team and accelerate development of this disruptive technology. Interested? We offer a wide range of benefits including unlimited holiday, stock options (where eligible), flexible working hours and a stunning office environment.
You’ll join a dedicated team of multi-disciplined engineers and researchers working with both hardware (building our handheld scanning devices) and software to improve our data pipelines and grower facing dashboard. In particular, you’ll:
- Help define our infrastructure roadmap and build solutions that solve complex problems, scale nationally and guarantee performance
- Develop models that help to benefit soft-fruit growers, achieve FruitCast’s goals and develop metrics to track their progress
- Analyse existing state-of-the-art ML/DL algorithms that could be used to solve a given problem and rank them by their success probability to maximise FruitCast resources
- Generate data visualisation pipelines to gain deeper and insightful understanding of our algorithms, from this identifying differences in data distribution that could affect performance when deploying the model in the real world and further optimising for this use-case and exploratory visualisation for the growers.
- Supervising the data acquisition process if more data is needed
- Finding available datasets online that could be used for training
- Defining validation strategies, hyperparameter tuning, preprocessing or feature engineering to be done on a given dataset, data augmentation pipelines, and finally deploying models in production.
- Analysing errors of a model and designing strategies to overcome them
- Verification of data quality, and/or ensuring it via data cleaning
- Analyze raw data: assessing quality, cleansing, structuring for downstream processing
- Design accurate and scalable prediction algorithms
- Collaborate with engineering team to bring analytical prototypes to production
- Generate actionable insights for business improvements
- Setup and maintain software and algorithms
- Help improve data processes by developing and testing software platforms
- Manage equipment and raise appropriate purchase orders, basic financial literacy is required
- Assist team members in making more effective use of systems, products and services
- Undertake continuous professional development activities
- Help to maintain and foster relationships between FruitCast and external parties such as suppliers, growers, contractors, as well as the rest of the team
- From time to time, you’ll also undertake extra duties needed by other members of the team
As a new company just finding our feet, we want self-motivated individuals who can hit the ground running on a wide variety of tasks and challenges. It would be helpful if you:
- Hold a master's or higher degree in computer science, mathematics, physics or related technical field or hold equivalent practical experience
- Have at least 3 years of experience developing data-driven solutions
- Can demonstrate a track record of being a self-motivated problem solver
- Deep understanding of predictive modelling, machine-learning, clustering and classification techniques, algorithms, forecasting and time series data
- Are an excellent team player with the ability to work in a cross-functional team
- Are a life-long learner always wanted to discover more and improve your skill set
- Have an understanding of system and data design patterns
- Feel at home in a Linux terminal
- Have knowledge and experience with some of the following technologies: Tensorflow, PyTorch, CUDA, Keras, opencv, scikit-learn, pandas, python, docker, SQL, MongoDB etc.
- Familiarity with Big Data frameworks and visualization tools (Cassandra, Hadoop, Spark, Tableau)
- Have any experience with ROS (Robot Operating System)
We believe you know what you need to get the job done. We therefore offer a range of options that give you the environment, equipment and flexibility you need. Some of these include:
- Unlimited holiday, just tell us when you need time off.
- Flexible working hours.
- Stock options (where eligible).
- Work from anywhere (where eligible)
- Paid tickets, training sessions, accommodation, and travel nationally or internationally to expand your network & knowledge.
- Stunning office environment with state of the art hardware.
- Unlimited high-quality coffee, tea, snacks, and other comforts every day.
- An open, supportive and friendly culture with a flat hierarchy
How to Apply?
If you think you’re the right person for this role and would like to join our team please upload your CV and we’ll look forward to chatting with you.