Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It’s an opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)
As a Data Engineer, you will be working with Electronic Medical Records, Billing, and other data types that we receive from our health care provider clients. Where these data are part of our cadre of known data sources, you will be responsible for evaluation of those sources against the existing standard. Where they are not, you will have the added pleasure of creating the new standard which will be applied. In all cases, you will be responsible for understanding the incoming data, identifying locations of data elements of interest, putting together specifications, and implementing the corresponding ETL to transform the incoming data into our standardized data warehouse. This critical point in ETL drives the data shape and logical design required to meet data reporting needs.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Conduct gap analyses of client data specifications and communicate findings to the client
- Conduct analysis of the data in its native format to determine quality issues and whether the submitted data will meet the standards necessary to support the downstream consumers of the data. Complex cases involve reconciliation of data in multiple locations, clever ways of imputing information from sub-par data, de-duplication strategies, and understanding and specifying how to handle claim adjustments
- Document your findings as specifications and implement the corresponding ETL
- Manage ETL validation through both internal and client testing. Implement adjustments to code as necessary
- Map client local terminologies to Optum standard concept
- Perform implementation validation and support client UAT issue resolution
- Work collaboratively with other internal team members during implementation
- Work with existing clients to understand and trouble shoot their data needs. Create and implement necessary solutions to these issues as they arise
- Actively participate in the maintenance and improvement of the overall data process
- Contribute your knowledge to ongoing team documentation for the benefit of future us
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in Engineering, Computer Science, Business, or other related field in technology
- 3+ years of experience working with healthcare data (EMR Clinical data, Claims from variety of payers, etc.)
- 3+ years of experience working with, analyzing, and understanding data using SQL
- 3+ years of experience managing clients or working with them on tasks like requirements gathering, impact analysis, etc.
- 2+ years of experience coding in Scala/Spark or another data analysis language
- 2+ years of experience implementing and supporting client solutions on AWS Cloud platform
- Understands the concept of creating a data repository from diverse sources of data
- Ability to query large data sets using SQL and query optimization skills, including PL-SQL or T-SQL
- Understanding of clinical processes and vocabulary and basic procedures for working with claims such as de-duplication, reversals, eligibility, etc. and the lifecycle of a claim
- Ability to analyze user requests, define requirements, investigate, and report conclusions
- Ability to communicate complex concepts, verbally and in writing to others, including clients
- Highly analytical, curious and creative
- Solid written and verbal communications skills
- Solid organization skills, detail oriented, with careful attention to work processes
- Takes ownership of responsibilities and follows through hand-offs to other groups
- Enjoys a fast-paced environment and the opportunity to quickly learn new skills
- Ability to work creatively and flexibly, both independently and as part of a team
- High-performing, motivated, and goal-driven with track record of meeting and/or exceeding goals
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here’s the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $66,100 to $118,300. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $72,800 to $129,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.