Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
No industry is moving faster than health care and no organization is better positioned to lead health care forward than Optum. We need attention to every detail with an eye for the points no one has considered. The rewards for performance are significant. You'll help improve the health of millions and you'll do your life's best work.
Optum Data Acquisition Services (DAS) is seeking a Data Engineer with health care experience to support, implement and manage cross-domain, modular, flexible, scalable, secure, reliable and quality data solutions that transform data to support analytics and insight generation for our clients. The Data Engineer will implement, test, deploy, monitor, and maintain the delivery of data in a systematic method and will support a wide variety of analytical products and services. The Data Engineer will also partner with the broader OAS Analytics organization to harness the power of client data to facilitate analytical insight and will be responsible for building quality and efficiency into every project.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Support the full data engineering lifecycle including research, proof of concepts, design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance of data solutions
- Support the implementation of a modern data framework that facilitates business intelligence reporting and advanced analytics, including machine learning models
- Support daily processes of MPP clients and resolve any issues quickly
- Eliminate unwarranted complexity and unneeded interdependencies
- Detect data quality issues, identify root causes, implement fixes, and implement data audits to capture issues
- Implement, modify, and maintain data integration efforts that improve data efficiency, reliability, and value
- Leverage and facilitate the evolution of best practices for data acquisition, transformation, storage, and aggregation that solve current challenges and reduce the risk of future challenges
- Effectively create effective data transformations that address business requirements and other constraints
- Partner with other architecture and engineering teams to make recommendations for changes to data systems and the architecture of data platforms
- Leverage data pipeline monitoring tools to detected data integrity issues before they result into user visible outages or data quality issues
- Leverage processes and diagnostics tools to troubleshoot, maintain and optimize solutions and respond to customer and production issues
- Continuously support technical debt reduction, process transformation, and overall optimization
- Leverage and contribute to the evolution of standards for high quality documentation of data definitions, transformations, and processes to ensure data transparency, governance, and security
- Ensure that all solutions meet the business needs and requirements for security, scalability, and reliability
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferably in information technology, engineering, math, computer science, analytics, engineering or other related field)
- 3+ years of combined experience in data engineering, ingestion, normalization, transformation, aggregation, structuring, and storage
- 3+ years of combined working with industry standard relational and non-relational data storage systems
- 3+ years of experience in managing data assets using SQL, Python, Scala, Java, R or other similar querying/coding language
- 2+ years of experience working with healthcare data or data to support healthcare organizations
- Willingness to support limited travel up to 10%
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Depth of experience and proven track record creating and maintaining sophisticated data frameworks for healthcare organizations
- Experience working in Azure, AWS, or google cloud ecosystems
- Experience supporting data pipelines that power analytical content within common reporting and business intelligence platforms (e.g. Power BI, Qlik, Tableau, MicroStrategy, etc.)
- Experience working with large data pipelines that transfer and process data using Spark, Scala, Python, Apache Kafka, Pig/Hive, etc.
- Experience contributing to cross-functional efforts with proven success in creating healthcare insights
- Experience and credibility interacting with analytics and technology leadership teams
- Desire to continuously learn and seek new options and approaches to business challenges
- Willingness to leverage best practices, share knowledge, and improve the collective work of the team
- Ability to effectively communicate concepts verbally and in writing
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $66,100 to $118,300. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $72,800 to $129,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.