FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of 3,780 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
The ability to work remotely within the United States may be available based on business need. This option is not available in the states of California, Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Montana, Nebraska, New York, Oregon or Washington at this time.
As a Data Engineer at FirstEnergy you will work on an Agile team that is digitally enabling the company by building data pipelines that drive analytic solutions. These solutions will generate insights from the connected data, enabling the organization to advance the data-driven decision-making capabilities of the enterprise. This role requires deep understanding of data architecture, data engineering, data analysis, reporting, and a basic understanding of data science techniques and workflows. The ideal candidate is a skilled data and software engineer with experience creating data products supporting analytic solutions.
Our digital projects benefit the community by aiding in providing safe, reliable electricity to everyone:
Customer: create analytics to improve customer satisfaction along the customer journey for a lifetime as they move-in to a residence, pay their bill and move to new residences.
Transmission & Distribution: develop algorithms to detect asset failures, reduce outages and provide reliable electricity to customers.
Smart Meter: provide customers with the electric usage they need to make smart decisions about their home as well as reduce threats and theft in the electric system.
What you’ll do:
- Design, develop, optimize, and maintain data architecture and pipelines that adhere to ETL principles and business goals
- Solve complex data problems to deliver insights that helps the organization's business to achieve their goals
- Create data products for analytics and data scientist team members to improve their productivity
- Advise, consult, mentor and coach other data and analytic professionals on data standards and practices
- Foster a culture of sharing, re-use, design for scale stability, and operational efficiency of data and analytical solutions
- Lead the evaluation, implementation and deployment of emerging tools and process for analytic data engineering to improve the organization's productivity as a team
- Partner with business analysts and solutions architects to develop technical architectures for strategic enterprise projects and initiatives.
What You Will Need to be Qualified:
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative discipline such as Computer Science, MIS or related field with 5 years of related experience.
- Related Experience includes but is not limited to: development and tuning on RDBMS technology including Oracle, SQL Server, Teradata or SingleStore.
- Willingness to undertake assignments involving unfamiliar subjects and demonstrate aptitude to learn quickly.
- Excel at communicating complex ideas and concepts both verbally and through writing
- Experience in Agile/Scrum development with DevOps methodologies geared toward rapid prototyping and piloting of cloud solutions
- Prefer 2-3 years of knowledge and experience in development and tuning of ETL processes using PowerCenter, Informatica Data Replication (IDR), webMethods or other comparable tools
- Experience in creating, analyzing and documenting ER and Dimensional models. Prefer ERWIN experience.
- Unix/Linux experience is preferred. Data Engineers maintain Unix files, commands, and scripts, which requires an understanding of Unix operating system concepts.
- Prefer 2-3 years of experience in using the Kimball methodology to design and develop Enterprise Data Warehouses and Data Marts
- Experience in designing and/or developing Analytics applications using tools such as Power BI, QlikView, SAS, RapidMiner or other comparable products.
- Willingness to travel throughout organization and service territory and work extended hours, as required
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team