Who are we?
Kuali builds software solutions for higher education. We help our customers colleges & universities focus on providing a fantastic education to students by decreasing their administrative costs. We work in a competitive space, ripe for innovation, with users ready to be delighted.
As a company, we are guided by our cultural values:
- Iterate to evolve
- Cultivate openness
- Act with accountability
- Assume the best
- Practice humility
- Deliver amazing experiences
- Make mistakes
As Kuali engineers, we learn from and teach each other, we practice transparency and empathy, and we delight in delivering value to our customers.
We work remotely, and have for years. Distributed work is in our bones, with a history of institutions working across state lines on open-source software for more than ten years. Our employees each work in the environment where theyre happiest, from Pennsylvania to Hawaii. We work consciously to create a collaborative and healthy remote work culture, and we travel to meet in person a few times each year.
Everyone should love their work.
Kuali has been voted a top place to work for 3 years in a row by the Salt Lake Tribune. We also made Forbes' list of America's Best Startup Employers for 2020. Not too shabby.
Your product team
You will work closely with product, design, and our customers on the Kuali Financials product. Customers use our Financials product to efficiently and effectively manage the complex accounting needs of higher education.
Who are you?
Were looking for curious, enthusiastic, empathetic engineers to solve problems, execute on ideas, advocate for the customer, and contribute to a team culture built on trust and mutual respect. As a data engineer here, youll have a significant impact on what we do and how we do it.
We build and support data pipelines and reporting solutions for a range of business needs, including end user consumption. We are focusing heavily on greenfield development: you will build new analytics and data services including data pipelines, data warehousing solutions, ETL processes, end user reports, as well as the deployment mechanisms and the platform's environments. As a Data Engineer you will have the unique opportunity to influence major decisions from how our data platform's cloud-based infrastructure is architected, to what modern data-engineering frameworks and tooling are used, to how our CI/CD will operate. While building out the new platform, you will also maintain a light-weight, legacy solution, which will be deprecated and replaced. We believe that great developers can always learn new tools. Above any specific tech stack, were looking for versatile developers those who know when to think big and when to act small, and who are comfortable in both greenfield and refactoring projects.
We believe the best products are created by teams who represent a broad range of ideas and perspectives. We value employees with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Have 3+ years experience conceptualizing and generating infrastructure that allows large data sets to be accessed and analyzed.
- Experience conceptualizing and building infrastructure that processes, stores, and vends large data sets for analytics purposes.
- Have hands-on experience with ETL-as-code frameworks such as Airflow, Luigi, or Prefect or experience building ETL processes/services from scratch with generic languages and libraries.
- Experience with BI and reporting tools such as Tableau, Domo, Looker, or Sisense.
- Understand the software development lifecycle and are able to work alongside development teams. Youre excited to collaborate closely with Application Engineers, Product Managers, and Customer Success and use real-time feedback to solve problems iteratively.
- Are ready to help reformulate existing frameworks to improve and expand current offerings.
- Arent afraid to get your hands dirty on devops work.
We'd be delighted if you bring experience with:
- Shipping Software as a Service (SaaS) solutions
- One or more of these technologies: Java, Python, Node.js, AWS
- One or more relational databases: MySQL, Oracle or Postgres
- One or more analytics databases: Redshift, Snowflake, or Teradata.
- Report and dashboard requirements analysis and design
- The Higher Education community
Other things you should know:
- This team is (and has always been) fully remote. Youd be expected to have a suitable home working environment or alternative. We try to get together in person as a team or company 2-4 times a year.
- Top-of-the-line equipment of your choice to get your job done
- A truly exceptional benefits package including full premium coverage for employee and dependent medical and dental care
- 401(k) matching
- Paid Maternity/Parental leave
- All the paid time off you need (just work it out with your manager)
- Allowance for continuing education, conferences, and/or training
- Space to work on self-driven projects during hack time
- Employee resource groups and community events