If you need assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability, please reach out to our Recruiting Accommodations Team through the Accommodation Request form. This form is used only by individuals with disabilities who require assistance or adjustments in applying and interviewing for a job. This form is not for inquiring about a position or the status of an application.
Expedia needs YOU!
Are you a data engineer who wants to work for a strong and creative online travel technology company? If you enjoy working in a flexible, Agile environment where your efforts to build data pipelines that have a direct impact on expanding our customer base and driving new business, then’ Expedia is looking for YOU!
The team at Expedia Inc. are looking for data and software development enthusiasts who are highly motivated and disciplined, to join their awesome Hotels.com Engineering team.
You'll be working on some cool projects using our cutting-edge technologies’
As a data engineer in this team, you'll work with other experienced engineers to design, build, enhance and maintain Hadoop data pipelines which deliver key data sets which support our Acquisition Marketing bidding operations, as well as being used by partner managers, analysts and data scientists. We work closely with our product managers and business team members to make sure we deliver the right data, in the right way and using the right technology.
You will be responsible for:
- Writing code – lots of it. Much of our code is in HiveQL and Python – scheduled using Apache Airflow – but we also use Java, a little bit of Scala and whatever other tools or languages are needed. We welcome programmers of all backgrounds as long as you are keen to work with data and deliver good-quality code!
- Making sure code deploys smoothly and correctly into our cloud environments (AWS).
- Getting a good understanding of our data sets and the business processes and teams that they support. This includes knowledge of tools and APIs from partners including Google, and Facebook.
- Working in an Agile team and looking for ways to continuously improve through asking for and providing feedback.
- Sharing your technical knowledge with the team, reviewing work and providing guidance where you have seniority or experience with a specific technology.
- Acting as a point of contact for technical issues for specific workstreams within a project.
- Implementing product features, working with Product Owners, QA and Data Operations teams as well as other data engineers. Using good practice like of checking requirements, unit testing, and code reviews to ensure these are delivered correctly.
- Feeding into and helping implement our technical roadmap, which include managing technical debt, innovating with new technologies and approaches and helping to build up and broaden the technical skills or yourself and the rest of your team.
We don't believe in skill matching against a list of buzzwords’
We look for smart people with good general programming skills because we believe that exceptional developers can learn new technologies quickly and well. However, it wouldn't hurt if you have experience with some of the following (or a passion to learn them):
- Coding in Python (ideally including use of Airflow), Java or another object-oriented language
- Hadoop (or other ‘Big Data’/ distributed systems), ideally including Hive and Amazon EMR
- Experience of using cloud services (e.g. Amazon Web Services), particularly with an ‘infrastructure-as-code’ approach (we use Terraform and Ansible)
- Data modelling and data warehousing
- Scalable relational database systems such as Redshift, Teradata
- Passionate about learning, be that about languages, tools, data sets or how they are used by the business
As a team we love to’
- Build high-quality data pipelines using cool technology.
- Work in an environment where elegant, clean, maintainable code is favoured over messy hacks.
- Share our knowledge with each other and learn new things.
- Host and attend meetups and conferences
- Make use of (and, where relevant, contribute to) a range of open-source software
- Work with a diverse team across multiple sites around the world
- Take advantage of our amazing travel discounts and tick some destinations off our bucket lists!
We believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce, is the most awesome workforce’
We believe in being Different. We seek new ideas, different ways of thinking, diverse backgrounds and approaches, because averages can lie and sameness is dangerous.
Expedia is committed to crafting an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.
We'll take your career on a journey that's flexible and right for you, whilst recognizing and rewarding your achievements’
- A conversation around flexible working and what is right for you is encouraged from day one/ your first conversations with Hotels.com.
- Competitive salaries and many growth opportunities within the wider Expedia Inc group.
- Option to attend conferences globally and enrich the technology skills you are passionate about.
- Cash and Stock rewards for high achievers.
- Extensive travel rewards and discounts for all employees!
Why join us’
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal: to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you!
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia, Hotels.com, Expedia Partner Solutions, Egencia, trivago, HomeAway, Orbitz, Travelocity, Wotif, lastminute.com.au, ebookers, CheapTickets, Hotwire, Classic Vacations, Expedia Media Solutions, CarRentals.com, Expedia Local Expert, Expedia CruiseShipCenters, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo.
We're excited for you to make Expedia an even more awesome place to work!
So what are you waiting for? Apply now and join us on our journey to become the #1 travel company in the world!
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group's family of brands includes: Brand Expedia , Hotels.com , Expedia Partner Solutions, Vrbo , trivago , Orbitz , Travelocity , Hotwire , Wotif , ebookers , CheapTickets , Expedia Group’ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert , CarRentals.com’, and Expedia Cruises’.
2021 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50
Employment opportunities and job offers at Expedia Group will always come from Expedia Group's Talent Acquisition and hiring teams. Never provide sensitive, personal information to someone unless you're confident who the recipient is. Expedia Group does not extend job offers via email or any other messaging tools to individuals to whom we have not made prior contact. Our email domain is @expediagroup.com. The official website to find and apply for job openings at Expedia Group is lifeatexpediagroup.com/jobs.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.
This employer is a corporate member of
myGwork – LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals,
students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.