Newton is a high growth and successful management consultancy, employing the brightest and most curious minds in the industry. We boast an impressive client base of household names and bluechips, delivering impressive tangible benefits in areas including process optimisation and cost reduction. We are small enough that every individual can make a huge impact, both internally and externally.
Newton’s rapidly growing Digital practice delivers digital transformation across our largest and most complex programmes, including data science and analytics, systems change, technology and data architecture. The team is fully embedded into our core consulting teams and enable solutions worth tens of millions of pounds to our clients. The Digital team is one of Newton’s specialist capabilities, along with Change Management; these teams work seamlessly with the core consulting body to enable delivery of exceptional results for our clients. All our work is delivered by a single, coherent team, aligned to the clear goals of the Programme. Together, these specialist capabilities form a critical part of Newton’s proposition.
We are seeking Data Engineers who consider themselves thought leaders, excellent technologists, and self-starters with extensive experience in SQL and NoSQL databases, Data Modelling, and ETL pipeline design. These roles will be focused on large improvement programmes, working alongside Newton’s Operational Consultants, Digital peers and clients. These are leadership roles which include improving, developing and embedding a data-driven decision-making capability within our clients. We passionately believe in the value and potential of this capability and we aim for it to represent more than 10% of our business by 2021.
Peers describe you as the go-to person for the most challenging data ingestion and modelling problems, and you have a track record of root-causing and solving challenging data problems. Detail-orientation and reliable, well-tested code are features of your work but you are also comfortable working with clients and colleagues who are less technical to achieve amazing outcomes.
- Leading the gathering, manipulation and analysis of data on major transformation programmes within the client-facing consulting teams
- Getting under the skin of client data and processes to understand where value can be added
- Creating new opportunities to deliver value to clients through data and digital
- Implementing data-driven actionable insights that drive change across an organisation
- Building pipelines that are suitable for Data Scientists and analysts working in a Python environment
- Building effective relationships with stakeholders in the client organisation, influencing and coaching to help them implement a data-driven capability within their organisation
- Being held up as a role model amongst the wider business with a reputation as an inspirational leader; influencing and improving internal processes and delivering training
- Changing the way Newton uses data and digital by guiding and mentoring colleagues on how to gather, manipulate and analyse data effectively
- Managing and developing consultants within your team
Successful candidates will have will have 5 years plus experience and tangible results of projects that include:
- Experience of designing, developing, delivering and maintaining large-scale data infrastructures
- SQL Master – Extensive knowledge and Vast experience with SQL Queries
- Extensive data modelling experience, especially with low-quality data – knowledge of common methods like third normal form and star schema
- Strong shell scripting abilities
- Proficiency in using Cloud services for data engineering, storage, and analytics
- Expert Python developer with a working knowledge of data science
- Proficient with software engineering best practices (monitoring, testing, documentation)
- Work with data analysts and provide the data they need and guide them on the issues
- Extensive ETL experience and Hadoop experience
- Experience in Real time data ingestion (e.g. Kafka)
- Able to troubleshoot the data issues in dashboarding tools (Power BI) and suggest solutions
- A team player can achieve more on a team that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and works effectively with less technical colleagues
You’ll predominantly be based at client locations across the UK with your Newton colleagues and client teams, so you’ll need to be prepared to work away from home during the week. However, we make sure all our people are home for 6pm on Friday, regardless of where they’re working. And we don’t work weekends.