We’re an innovative tech consultancy – a team of problem solvers. Since 1993 we’ve been finding better ways to solve complex technology problems for some of the world’s leading organisations and delivered solutions that millions of people use every day.
We bring together experts from diverse backgrounds and experiences in a collaborative and open culture to deliver outstanding outcomes for our clients, and a stimulating and rewarding environment for our people.
We are DataOps advocates and use software engineering best practices to build scalable and re-usable data solutions to help clients use their data to gain insights, drive decisions and deliver business value. Clients don’t engage BJSS to do the straightforward things, they ask us to help on their biggest challenges which means we get to work with a wide range of tools and technologies and there are always new things to learn.
About the Role
BJSS data engineers are specialist software engineers that build, optimise and maintain data applications, systems and services. This role combines the discipline of software engineering with the knowledge and experience of building data solutions in order to deliver business value.
As a BJSS data engineer you’ll help our clients deploy data pipelines and processes in a production-safe manner, using the latest technologies and with a DataOps culture.
You’ll work in a fast moving, agile environment, within multi-disciplinary teams of highly skilled consultants, delivering modern data platforms into large organisations.
You can expect to get involved in variety of projects in the cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP), learning about and using data services such as Databricks, Data Factory, Synapse, Kafka, Redshift, Glue, Athena, BigQuery, S3, Cloud Data Fusion etc.
- You're an engineer at heart and enjoy the challenge of building reliable, efficient data applications systems, services and platforms.
- You have a good understanding of coding best practices and design patterns and experience with code and data versioning, dependency management, code quality and optimisation, error handling, logging, monitoring, validation and alerting.
- You have experience in writing well tested object-oriented python.
- You have experience with using CI/CD tooling to analyse, build, test and deploy your code.
- You have a good understanding of design choices for data storage and data processing, with a particular focus on cloud data services.
- You have experience in using parallel computing to process large datasets and to optimise computationally intensive tasks.
- You have experience in programmatically deploying, scheduling and monitoring components in a workflow.
- You have experience in writing complex queries against relational and non-relational data stores.
Some of the Perks
- A collaborative and inspiring environment working alongside some of the best tech people in the industry
- Hybrid working you can vary your working location to allow you to collaborate better, feed your creativity, and take the time and space to focus when you need it
- Training opportunities and incentives we support professional certifications across engineering and non-engineering roles
- Flexible benefits allowance you can spend on additional pension contributions, healthcare, dental and more’
- We partner with Lifeworks to offer wellbeing support to our employees
- Life Assurance (4 x annual salary)
- Giving back the ability to get involved nationally and regionally with partnerships to get people from different backgrounds into tech
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Discounts we have preferred rates from dozens of retail, lifestyle and utility brands
- An industry-leading referral scheme
- Flexible holiday buy/sell option
- Electric vehicle scheme
- GymFlex gym membership programme