Job Title: Data Analyst
Basis of Appointment: Permanent, Full Time (38.5 hours) – other working arrangements available
Reports to: Finance Directo
Location: London – hybrid working
Salary: 33,360 p.a.
Join our global movement that makes education a force for peace and sustainability
United World Colleges (UWC) is a global education movement working towards peace and sustainability. We do that by bringing together young people from a wide range of socio-economic backgrounds and nationalities to study and live together at one of our 18 schools worldwide. At UWC, students don't just learn how to be great at passing exams; they learn how to communicate across cultural boundaries, design and engage in initiatives that transform lives, and develop the skills to become changemakers. Our alumni community now counts over 60,000 passionate members, who continue to live the UWC mission and make a difference in the world.
As the UWC International Office, we are lucky to sit at the heart of this transformative movement. We are a friendly group of about 30 colleagues from many different countries and backgrounds. We are based in London and Berlin, with some of us working remotely from around the world. The international nature of our office means that, even before COVID-19, we have had years of practice in working together from different locations, supporting each other when things get tough, and finding creative ways to bond and have fun together whether it is in person or not. You can count on that.
Our work is pretty exciting, as we get to collaborate on a daily basis with UWC's many stakeholders around the world. We serve UWC International's governing bodies and we support our schools, short course organisers and network of volunteer-based national committees. We coordinate global initiatives in areas such as communications, fundraising and programme development. And we keep the whole UWC community engaged.
Are you our new data analyst?
Right now, we are searching for a Data Analyst to join our Executive Team. As part of the team, you will join a Senior Financial Accountant and the Director of Finance. As the Data Analyst, you will be responsible for collecting, managing and presenting data that originate from UWC schools and colleges, national committees, alumni and UWC International itself, in a manner which is consistent, efficient and easily understood, supports decision making and informs future development across the UWC movement. You will also organise and maintain databases, develop reports, and troubleshoot data issues.
If this sounds like the role to make you leap from bed every day then read on for further Details.
- Collect data from primary or secondary data sources by organising efficient data collection processes and systems
- Manage data by organising and maintaining databases
- Interpret data, analyse results and develop strategies and processes that optimise statistical efficiency and data quality in line with business and information needs
- Identify, analyse and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets
- Locate and define new process improvement opportunities
- Support the Director of Finance with preparation and presentation of complex data in a simple easily understood format
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform other duties as required.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience
- Background and/ or experience in data management and analytics
- Advanced skills in Excel / Google Sheets
- Data visualisations skills (PowerBI, Google Data Studio)
- Ability to carry out data quality control, validation and linkage
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to analyse, interpret and use data in day to day work and handle confidential information with sensitivity and discretion
- Demonstrates a methodical approach with a good eye for detail
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with an ability to work with people from a range of backgrounds and cultures
- Good understanding of data protection issues and how they apply to day to day work
- Fluency in English with strong verbal and visual communication skills in order to present your findings to diverse audience groups.
Desirable knowledge, skills and experience
- Fluency in a second world language
- Proven ability to develop and document procedures and workflows
- Knowledge of SQL, Python or R.
What we offe
As part of a commitment to our employees we offer:
- Generous holiday allowance – 28 days per year plus 8 public holidays (pro rata for part time or fixed term contracts).
- The standard working hours are 38.5 per week. Start and finish times can be agreed between managers and employees. We support flexible working and are happy to discuss different working patterns.
- We support staff development and provide access to training and a wide range of
- CharityComms resources through our UWCIO membership.
- We offer a health and wellbeing support package, which includes income protection, employee assistance programme, advice and legal support helpline, remote GPs access, medical second opinions, mental health support, physiotherapy, cycle to work and a wellbeing calendar featuring podcasts and webinars.
- Perks and discounts portal, which provides a range of discounts across shopping, dining, lifestyle, and entertainment. With thousands of offers on hundreds of top retailers.
- New joiners will be automatically enrolled into a Group Personal Pension Plan after three months in post (with the right to opt out). This applies to everyone aged 22 and above but under state retirement age, earning at least 10,000 p.a. and classed as working in the UK. UWC
- International currently contributes up to 8% of the employee's gross salary and the employee must match the percentage of up to 8% of their gross salary. The minimum contribution rate is 4%.
We operate hybrid working arrangements, with 20% of the week worked in the office and 80% worked from home. There is the option to work additional days in the office if requested. These arrangements will be reviewed later this year. We support flexible working and would be happy to discuss different working patterns with candidates.
Any requirement to travel for work will be subject to a risk assessment and will take into account official government guidance on COVID-19 and any other health or security considerations applicable at the time.
It is expected that the job holder may travel to UWC schools and colleges. For that reason, a Basic DBS check (Disclosure and Barring Service) or international equivalent will be required before any job offer is made. We will also take up references prior to the second stage of the interview process. Referees will not be contacted without your consent.
UWC places deliberate diversity at the heart of our educational model because of its critical importance in our mission ‘to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future'.
At the UWC International Office, we believe this commitment to deliberate diversity must be reflected within our team, organisational practices, policies and culture. We recognise people with different backgrounds, skills, attitudes and experiences bring fresh ideas and perceptions, and we encourage and leverage these differences to make our work more relevant and approachable.
We will not discriminate or tolerate discriminatory behaviour on any grounds such as, but not limited to, race, gender, disability, nationality, national or ethnic origin, religion or belief, marital/ partnership or family status, sexual orientation, age or socioeconomic background.
We strive to be an inclusive workplace where everyone feels a sense of belonging, has a voice, can raise concerns, and feels comfortable and confident. We expect everyone who works with us to share this commitment and to act accordingly, as we aspire to best serve the UWC mission and our global community. It is an ongoing journey and we welcome all those who are ready to travel with us.
This role requires applicants to have the right to live and work in the UK and undertake the role that you have been offered. Please provide confirmation of your eligibility to indefinitely work or reside in the UK in your application. Any offers of employment made by UWC International in London will be subject to a right to work check on your immigration status in the UK.
Application Process and Deadline
Please send your application to us by clicking apply now including your CV and cover letter in English (each a maximum of 2 pages). Your cover letter should:
- Indicate how you heard about this role.
- Outline your knowledge, skills and abilities against the job requirements.
- Provide confirmation of your eligibility to indefinitely work in the UK.
- Provide the name and contact details of two referees, including their job title and the capacity in which you are known to them. References are taken up prior to the second round interviews and we will not contact your referees without first letting you know.
Please note that applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
Deadline for application: 23:59 UK-time on 07 December 2022
- First round interviews will be held on 19 December 2022
- Second round interviews will be held on 22 December 2022